Forum: Ruby on Rails Heavy e-mail receive

Doug D. (Guest)
on 2006-04-03 22:22
Performance experts,

Normally to receive e-mails is to pipe their content to script/runner
individually from a mail server, sendmail or postfix. Doesn't this
configuration run like Apache 1.3 with CGI, meaning for each e-mail a
boot of the entire Rails environment and thus low scalability?

Is there anything working like lighttpd-fcgi or going toward its
approach?

DD
Pete Y. (Guest)
We've solved this problem by writing a little gateway that receives
SMTP and submits each incoming e-mail to Rails as a HTTP post.
Tom M. (Guest)
On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Doug D. wrote:

> Normally to receive e-mails is to pipe their content to script/runner
> individually from a mail server, sendmail or postfix. Doesn't this
> configuration run like Apache 1.3 with CGI, meaning for each e-mail a
> boot of the entire Rails environment and thus low scalability?

You can receive to an account, and retrieve via POP.

--
-- Tom M.
Michael S. (Guest)
Pete Y. wrote:
> We've solved this problem by writing a little gateway that receives
> SMTP and submits each incoming e-mail to Rails as a HTTP post.

It sounds great. Is this little gateway open-sourced?

If not, the POP or mail file processing can be a quick performance
workaround.

Thank you for the hints!

DD
Pete Y. (Guest)
On 05/04/2006, at 3:30 AM, Doug D. wrote:

> Pete Y. wrote:
>> We've solved this problem by writing a little gateway that receives
>> SMTP and submits each incoming e-mail to Rails as a HTTP post.
>
> It sounds great. Is this little gateway open-sourced?

Sorry, no. It shouldn't be hard to write your own though. If you have
your own mail server forwarding email in, then you only need to
support enough of a subset of SMTP to keep your mail server happy.

Cheers,

Pete Y.