Forum: Ruby on Rails why ruby GC can take only 8 meg of memory????

sayoyo S. (Guest)

As I understand, the GC of Ruby can take only max. 8
meg of memory. So I wonder if there is some reason
behide this or it is simply a hardecode feature????
and if I want to increase the memeory, how should I do
this???

Thanks you very much!!!!

Saiho

The mind is its own place, and in itself.
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

http://www.geocities.com/sayoyo/

http://mail.yahoo.com
Matthew B. (Guest)
on 2006-04-03 19:31
Saiho sayoyo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand, the GC of Ruby can take only max. 8
> meg of memory. So I wonder if there is some reason
> behide this or it is simply a hardecode feature????
> and if I want to increase the memeory, how should I do
> this???

I think you're a little confused...Ruby allots 8meg to itself to start
with, moving above 8meg triggers garbage collection.  If the code needs
more then 8meg after GC, ruby allocates more memory.  I'd suggest poking
at:

http://whytheluckystiff.net/articles/theFullyUptur...

Which is why's article on ruby's memory use and GC.

Good luck!

--
Matthew B. :: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Resume & Portfolio @ http://madhatted.com