Forum: Ruby Writing a file, without deleting it's current content

Jeppe J. (Guest)
Hi, I just read about the ".write" method.
Let's say that I've just written a string to a file, "file.txt". Then I
want
to add some more information to it, on the next line. I use .write again
and
my info got replaced. How do I add to the without deleting what's
already in
it. I know I can load the string from it and then add them together, but
isn't there a smarter way to do it, like writing to the next line?

Thanks in advance :)
James B. (Guest)
Jeppe J. wrote:
> Hi, I just read about the ".write" method.
> Let's say that I've just written a string to a file, "file.txt". Then I want
> to add some more information to it, on the next line. I use .write again and
> my info got replaced. How do I add to the without deleting what's already in
> it. I know I can load the string from it and then add them together, but
> isn't there a smarter way to do it, like writing to the next line?
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Look up the "append" option for File when opening for writing.

--
James B.

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
  for machines to execute."
   - H. Abelson and G. Sussman
   (in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)
Jeppe J. (Guest)
ok just to make sure I got it right:

File.open("myFile.txt.", APPEND="This is the string I'm writing" )

Correct?

2006/4/3, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Daniel B. (Guest)
erm, try this:

myfile = File.open("myFile.txt","a")
myfile << "This is the string I'm writing"

On 03/04/06, Jeppe J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > > Hi, I just read about the ".write" method.
> > > isn't there a smarter way to do it, like writing to the next line?
> > "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally

--
Daniel B.
http://danielbaird.com (TiddlyW;nks! :: Whiteboard Koala :: Blog ::
Things
That Suck)
[[My webhost uptime is ~ 92%.. if no answer pls call again later!]]