Forum: Typo 'pings' table

Gary S. (Guest)
What's the point of the 'pings' table?

It seems to just keep a record of every site I've linked to.  That
seems to be a bit of a weight to my db without much use.  I could see
that there _could_ be a use, but I don't particularly want to keep a
record of every time I've hit one of the ping servers.

Safe to empty it periodically in the same way that I empty the
'sessions' table once in a while?

Cheers
Kevin B. (Guest)
I assume it's so if you edit an article it can tell what sites it's
already pinged and avoid re-pinging them. I haven't looked at the
code relative to this, though.
Piers C. (Guest)
Gary S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> What's the point of the 'pings' table?
>
> It seems to just keep a record of every site I've linked to.  That
> seems to be a bit of a weight to my db without much use.  I could see
> that there _could_ be a use, but I don't particularly want to keep a
> record of every time I've hit one of the ping servers.
>
> Safe to empty it periodically in the same way that I empty the
> 'sessions' table once in a while?

It's used by the notification engine to avoid pinging anywhere twice
for the same article. I'm afraid I'm not up on the workings of said
notification system, but I would be wary of emptying it or you might
find yourself incontinently pinging everywhere all over again when
someone comments on an article.

Yes. This needs to be fixed. No, it probably won't be fixed by 4.0

Probably the first step will be to change the relationship from
has_many/belongs_to to has_and_belongs_to_many or, more likely,
has_many ... through ... and use the join table as a state object for
publication state.
Syed Uzair A. (Guest)
> notification system, but I would be wary of emptying it or you might
> find yourself incontinently pinging everywhere all over again when

Bwahahaha. I, for one, support incontinence as the new approach to
maintaining Typo's lightweight-ness ;)

Uzair
Steve L. (Guest)
+1 for incontinence  :-)
Gary S. (Guest)
On 3 Apr 2006, at 01:02, Piers C. wrote:

>> 'sessions' table once in a while?
> has_many/belongs_to to has_and_belongs_to_many or, more likely,
> has_many ... through ... and use the join table as a state object for
> publication state.

Hmmm, problem is I don't really need to keep a record that I pinged
Technorati in October so some I'll probably do some pruning.