Forum: Ruby Now what

Allen D. (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 20:08
I've gotten through the Programming Ruby book and I have good idea of
how Ruby works; but I am stuck with what to do next.  I mean, I know I
have to learn Ruby before I get into Rails (i.e. Ruby is the engine of
the car and Rails is the body of the car), but I have no idea of what to
do with Ruby (as in by it self without Rails).

So is there anything I can do with Ruby on the web without knowing a lot
about Rails?
anne001 (Guest)
http://www.coolnamehere.com/geekery/ruby/web/cgi.html
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/web.html
etc

you can also learn to use databases with ruby, without rails...
see a recent post on that
Stephen W. (Guest)
On Apr 1, 2006, at 8:08 AM, Allen D. wrote:

> So is there anything I can do with Ruby on the web without knowing
> a lot
> about Rails?

http://rubyquiz.com/

--Steve
Jeppe J. (Guest)
If you love playing around with numbers and logic, join
http://mathschallenge.net/
You get points, in the ranking system, everytime you solve a problem.
You're
supposed to solve the problems by writing programs that will do the work
for
you of cause :)

2006/4/1, Stephen W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Huw C. (Guest)
Funnily enough, we are looking for ideas for good, short Ruby projects
for
Bitwise at the moment. We have an introductory Ruby tutorial online at
the
moment. We plan to wrap that up by the end of April. After that I want
run some occasional Ruby programming columns. I was thinking along the
lines
of doing some simple file/text processing projects (e.g. maybe some HTML
search/replace tools for webmasters), some disk utilities (finding
files,
sorting by size across multiple directories?), maybe even a game (well,
I'm
an adventure game freak at heart).

But if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

best wishes
Huw C.
Actually you're probably more than ready to test out Rails. Check out
Agile Web D. with Rails -- they walk you through examples that
do not require deep understanding of Ruby. For that matter, nothing
I've seen in Rails requires a super-deep understanding of Ruby to grasp.