Forum: Ruby on Rails UTF-8 in migrations: problem with broken chars in db

Announcement (2017-05-07): is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see and for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Marcus A. (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 05:17
(Received via mailing list)
I need to put some data into the database using migrations. The data
needs to be in UTF-8 format (since the database and the rest of the
Rails application is UTF-8). It doesn't work.

I have set up the UTF-8 support in environment.rb (which works perfectly
in the rest of the application). I have also tested to save the
migration file as a UTF-8 file (variable char length), as a unicode file
(double bytes) and as latin1 file (none works, just gives different
crappy chars in db). It still doesn't work. What should I do to make it

Rails 1.1, Ruby 1.8.4, Windows XP Pro, MySQL 4.1.11.nt with
ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 on all tables.


Marcus A. (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 05:38
(Received via mailing list)
Forget about this. It works now for some reason...


Marcus A. skrev:
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.