Forum: Ruby $/kEND parse error nightmare

Kurt V. Hindenburg (Guest)
Hello,
  In all the time I've used Ruby, I've never come across such an
aggravating,
uninformative error message... argh!

parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND

 wtf?

  Regards,
     Kurt

% ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [sparc-linux]
Logan C. (Guest)
On Mar 31, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND

This means, unexpected end of line, (or possibly end of file) I was
expecting to see the keyword "end"
gabriele renzi (Guest)
Kurt V. Hindenburg ha scritto:
> Hello,
>   In all the time I've used Ruby, I've never come across such an aggravating,
> uninformative error message... argh!
>
> parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND
>
>  wtf?

notice that before bison 2.0 you did not had neither this messages :)

I reported the strange messages around ruby-talk:179793 and matz said he
did not know of a way to get better error messages.

In ruby-talk:182173 I reported that there is a siple solution, at least
for some things, but I don't know if someone in ruby-core/dev ever read
or considered that, I guess providing a patch to parse.y would be
helpful :)
Robin S. (Guest)
gabriele renzi wrote:
> In ruby-talk:182173 I reported that there is a siple solution, at least
> for some things, but I don't know if someone in ruby-core/dev ever read
> or considered that, I guess providing a patch to parse.y would be
> helpful :)

Hi,

With the help of your mail about how to add descriptive names to tokens
I wrote a patch and sent it to ruby-core :)
http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7653

Regards,
   Robin S.
gabriele renzi (Guest)
Robin S. ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> With the help of your mail about how to add descriptive names to tokens
> I wrote a patch and sent it to ruby-core :)
> http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7653

well, great, I was hoping for something like this :)