Forum: Ruby on Rails '=>' : Ruby or Rails?

Bill W. (Guest)
I'm trying to find an explanation of the difference between '=' and
'=>'.  I thought a good first step would be finding out whether this is
a Ruby or a Rails construct.  Then I'd dig in before bothering the list.
No joy at step 1.  Can anybody point me to the right documentation?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Alex Y. (Guest)
Bill W. wrote:
> I'm trying to find an explanation of the difference between '=' and
> '=>'.  I thought a good first step would be finding out whether this is
> a Ruby or a Rails construct.  Then I'd dig in before bothering the
> list.  No joy at step 1.  Can anybody point me to the right documentation?
It's Ruby.

In brief, '=' is a general assignment, while '=>' is specifically for
key-value relationships in hashes.

Theres some documentation here:
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/intro.html
Bill W. (Guest)
Thank you, Alex.  I appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Bill