Forum: Ruby on Rails params[] vs @params[]

Bill W. (Guest)
Is there a difference in the way that params[] and @params[] are
handled?

Is the 'handling' done by Ruby or Rails?

A pointer to the relevant documentation would be sincerely appreciated.
Or just an answer would be ok too ;-)

Thanks,
Bill
Rob B. (Guest)
params[] is preferred now because 'params' is a method call and
'@params' is an instance variable.  I had this question myself and
when AWDR had both styles, I asked a Rails core team member when I
saw him.

-Rob

Rob B.		http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
+1 513-295-4739
Bill W. (Guest)
Thanks, Rob.  The 'preferred' part still throws me since it's apparently
still true that '@params[]' and 'params[]' will both work to access the
params hash.  Yes?

Also, when you say 'params' is a method call...  I would have thought
that it could also be a local variable whose interpretation at runtime
would be context sensitive.  No?

Confusing ;-(

Thanks again,
Bill

  On Mar 31, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Bill W. wrote:

    Is there a difference in the way that params[] and @params[] are
handled?

    Is the 'handling' done by Ruby or Rails?

    A pointer to the relevant documentation would be sincerely
appreciated.  Or just an answer would be ok too ;-)

    Thanks,
    Bill

> Thanks, Rob.  The 'preferred' part still throws me since it's apparently
> still true that '@params[]' and 'params[]' will both work to access the
> params hash.  Yes?

Think "deprecated."  Using @params will work, but it's not the
idiomatic way of doing it.