Forum: Ruby win32ole in compiled ruby

unknown (Guest)
I am having a problem with getting the win32ole extension to work for
my ruby-1.8.4, which I compiled from source.  After I had compiled it I
found out you need to comment out the ext from ext/Setup.  I did that
and recompiled but using irb I still get an error

[root@preservedasset doc]# irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'win32ole'
LoadError: no such file to load -- win32ole
        from (irb):1:in `require'
        from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Matt Maxwell
Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
>         from (irb):1
> irb(main):002:0>
>
> Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Yes. You're asuming that the whole world uses Windows :) and therefore
expect win32ole to be part of Ruby core. Thank God that's not the
case... :)

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32ole/

Have a nice day everyone,
Alex
Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
> >         from (irb):1:in `require'
> >         from (irb):1
> > irb(main):002:0>
> >
> > Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
> Yes. You're asuming that the whole world uses Windows :) and therefore
> expect win32ole to be part of Ruby core. Thank God that's not the
> case... :)
>
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32ole/

Mea culpa, looks like it is part of stdlib:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

but them, why is it listed both on RAA and stdlib?
Isn't RAA listing 'extra' applications/libraries that are not part of
core+stdlib ? It also lists stdlib libraries as well?

Alex
Masaki S. (Guest)
Hello,

In message "Re: win32ole in compiled ruby"
    on 06/03/31, "Alexandru E. Ungur" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
writes:

> Mea culpa, looks like it is part of stdlib:
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/
>
> but them, why is it listed both on RAA and stdlib?
> Isn't RAA listing 'extra' applications/libraries that are not part of
> core+stdlib ? It also lists stdlib libraries as well?

When Ruby version was 1.6.8, the Win32OLE was not stdlib library.
The Win32OLE of RAA is for Ruby 1.6.8

And the Win32OLE became stdlib when the Ruby version was 1.8.0.
And now the Win32OLE is one of the stdlib libraries.

  Regards,
  Masaki S.
Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
>>> sender: "Masaki S." date: "Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:32:25PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> Hello,
Hi,

> When Ruby version was 1.6.8, the Win32OLE was not stdlib library.
> The Win32OLE of RAA is for Ruby 1.6.8
>
> And the Win32OLE became stdlib when the Ruby version was 1.8.0.
> And now the Win32OLE is one of the stdlib libraries.
Thank you very much for the explanation.
It makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks,
Alex