Forum: Ruby Isn't :: a method? How to define?

itsme213 (Guest)
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):2: syntax error
def ::(x)

Thanks.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 30, 2006, at 1:13 PM, itsme213 wrote:

> SyntaxError: compile error
> (irb):2: syntax error
> def ::(x)

It isn't a method, its syntax.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
Logan C. (Guest)
On Mar 30, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Eric H. wrote:

> This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant
>
> http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

In fact it's very similiar to dot (.). You wouldn't expect to be able
to redefine that, would you?
itsme213 (Guest)
Ah. So it's short for const_get? Maybe I can still use it.

"Logan C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote in message
Logan C. (Guest)
On Mar 30, 2006, at 5:53 PM, itsme213 wrote:

> Ah. So it's short for const_get? Maybe I can still use it.

It's not exactly short for const_get either:

class A
   def self.class_meth
         puts "hi"
   end
   A_CONST  = 7
end

A::class_meth
puts A::A_CONST

hi
7

In fact its const_get or perform method, dpeneding whether or not the
constant exists