Forum: Ruby debuggery of extensions from segfault

Matt Maycock (Guest)
I wrote my first extension!

The functions work fine... except when I'm making multiple calls in a
loop.
Then, it segfaults.  I wrote some more code in my extension to output
equivalent c code to do the same job - even across my multiple data, and
it
does fine.  So I'm thinking either there's some weirdness I don't know
about, I'm accidentally clobbering some data, or there's a bug in ruby
that
I stumbled across (ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]) - my
question is, how do I figure this out?  Right now, my plan is to add
fprintf(stderr, "%s [%d]\n", __FILE__, __LINE__); to the end of every
line
in my c extension and see what gets dumped... but is there an easier
way?

Thanks,

~Matthew Maycock
unknown (Guest)
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Matt Maycock wrote:

> in my c extension and see what gets dumped... but is there an easier way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~Matthew Maycock

- write a script called 'a.rb' that uses your ext

- start ruby in gdb using

     gdb `which ruby`

- run at gdb prompt using (assuming a.rb in cwd)

     > run 'a.rb'

- when you seg fault type

     > where

hth.

-a
Matt Maycock (Guest)
and here I spent a great deal of time wrote something to add debug
statements to all my code.

ara t howard, you are wonderful.

~Matthew Maycock