Forum: Ruby problem with fastercsv install

unknown (Guest)
anyone else seen this?

   mussel:~ > gem install fastercsv
   Attempting local installation of 'fastercsv'
   Local gem file not found: fastercsv*.gem
   Attempting remote installation of 'fastercsv'
   Successfully installed fastercsv-0.1.9
   Installing RDoc documentation for fastercsv-0.1.9...

   mussel:~ > ruby -r rubygems -e' require "fastercsv";  p FasterCSV  '
   /dmsp/reference//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require__': no such file to load -- fastercsv (LoadError)
           from
/dmsp/reference//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require'
           from -e:1

but of course

   mussel:~ > ruby -r rubygems -e' require "faster_csv";  p FasterCSV  '
   FasterCSV

a link

   fastercsv -> faster_csv

might be nice...

regards.

-a
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:08 AM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> a link
>
>   fastercsv -> faster_csv
>
> might be nice...

I've received this complaint before.  The gem is named fastercsv,
while the library is named faster_csv.  (I have no clue why I did that.)

How do people feel about a name change of the gem for the next
release (to faster_csv), realizing this will hinder RubyGems version
control features for previous releases?

James Edward G. II
unknown (Guest)
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, James Edward G. II wrote:

> How do people feel about a name change of the gem for the next release (to
> faster_csv), realizing this will hinder RubyGems version control features for
> previous releases?
>
> James Edward G. II

seems easier just to provide a gem that installs both : faster_csv.rb
and
fastercsv.rb...

a link would suffice.

my 2 cts.

-a
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 21:35
James G. wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:08 AM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>
>> a link
>>
>>   fastercsv -> faster_csv
>>
>> might be nice...
>
> I've received this complaint before.  The gem is named fastercsv,
> while the library is named faster_csv.  (I have no clue why I did that.)

Rails has the same issue: gem activerecord vs file active_record.

--
-- Jim W.
James G. (Guest)

> seems easier just to provide a gem that installs both :
> faster_csv.rb and
> fastercsv.rb...
>
> a link would suffice.
>
> my 2 cts.

The next release (very soon now, just needs docs) will have this.
Thanks for the feedback!

James Edward G. II