Forum: Ruby on Rails database.yml and Dreamhost

Arch S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 09:19
I am unable to connect to my databases.

Here is the error I am getting:

MysqlError (Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)):

Here is my database.yml:

# MySQL (default setup).  Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
#
# Get the fast C bindings:
#   gem install mysql
#   (on OS X: gem install mysql -- --include=/usr/local/lib)
# And be sure to use new-style password hashing:
#   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: foodev
  username: fooadmin
  password: ****
  host: dev.foo.com

  # Connect on a TCP socket.  If omitted, the adapter will connect on
the
  # domain socket given by socket instead.
  port: 3306

# Warning: The database defined as 'test' will be erased and
# re-generated from your development database when you run 'rake'.
# Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
test:
  adapter: mysql
  database: footest
  username: fooadmin
  password: ****
  host: test.foo.com
  port: 3306

production:
  adapter: mysql
  database: fooprod
  username: fooadmin
  password: ****
  host: prod.foo.com
  port: 3306

# PostgreSQL versions 7.4 - 8.1
#
# Get the C bindings:
#   gem install postgres
# or use the pure-Ruby bindings on Windows:
#   gem install postgres-pr
postgresql_example:
  adapter: postgresql
  database: rails.foo.com_development
  username: rails.foo.com
  password:

  # Connect on a TCP socket.  Omitted by default since the client uses a
  # domain socket that doesn't need configuration.
  #host: remote-database
  #port: 5432

  # Schema search path.  The server defaults to $user,public
  #schema_search_path: myapp,sharedapp,public

  # Character set encoding.  The server defaults to sql_ascii.
  #encoding: UTF8

  # Minimum log levels, in increasing order:
  #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
  #   info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal, or panic
  # The server defaults to notice.
  #min_messages: warning

# SQLite version 2.x
#   gem install sqlite-ruby
sqlite_example:
  adapter: sqlite
  database: db/development.sqlite2

# SQLite version 3.x
#   gem install sqlite3-ruby
sqlite3_example:
  adapter: sqlite3
  database: db/development.sqlite3

# In-memory SQLite 3 database.  Useful for tests.
sqlite3_in_memory_example:
  adapter: sqlite3
  database: ":memory:"
avocado (Guest)
On 3/30/06, Arch S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I am unable to connect to my databases.
>
> Here is the error I am getting:
>
> MysqlError (Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)):

If you tried calling the site before you fixed database.yml, then you
may have the same issue I had. Dreamhost runs in Production by
default, so there are dispatch processes sitting in memory with the
old database config. You need to kill the processes to get them to
re-read database.yml.
Arch S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 09:40
avocado wrote:

> If you tried calling the site before you fixed database.yml, then you
> may have the same issue I had. Dreamhost runs in Production by
> default, so there are dispatch processes sitting in memory with the
> old database config. You need to kill the processes to get them to
> re-read database.yml.

Thanks for the tip.  I killed the processes via 'killall -USR1
dispatch.fcgi' and  now it's working.