Forum: Ruby ZenTest 3.1.0 Released

Ryan D. (Guest)
ZenTest version 3.1.0 has been released!

   http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

== DESCRIPTION

ZenTest provides 4 different tools: zentest, unit_diff, autotest,
and multiruby.

ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
corresponding dependent tests.

multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
for compatibility checking!

There are two strategies intended for ZenTest: test conformance
auditing and rapid XP.

For auditing, ZenTest provides an excellent means of finding methods
that have slipped through the testing process. I've run it against my
own software and found I missed a lot in a well tested
package. Writing those tests found 4 bugs I had no idea existed.

ZenTest can also be used to evaluate generated code and execute your
tests, allowing for very rapid development of both tests and
implementation.

== FEATURES/PROBLEMS

* Scans your ruby code and tests and generates missing methods for you.
* Includes a very helpful filter for Test::Unit output called unit_diff.
* Continually and intelligently test only those files you change with
autotest.
* Test against multiple versions with multiruby.
- Not the best doco in the world (my fault)
* Includes a LinuxJournal article on testing with ZenTest written by
Pat Eyler.
* See also: http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/zentest/

   http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

Changes:

+ 2 major enhancements
	+ Added multiruby! YAY!
	+ Massive improvements to autotest: speed, reliability, reporting, etc.
+ 10 minor enhancements
	+ multiruby builds in a centralized location. YAY!
	+ multiruby now allows reinstalls quickly and easily (can even skip
config).
	+ multiruby exits with total sum of exit codes.
	+ autotest file search is muuuuch faster.
	+ autotest automatically detects rails mode.
	+ autotest deals with rails dependencies much better.
	+ autotest reruns a full suite after you go green to ensure full
coverage.
	+ autotest always runs with unit_diff -u.
	+ autotest can now run cvs/svn/p4 up periodically to be a mini-
tinderbox.
	+ autotest now has real help.
+ 4 bug fixes
	- ZenTest is now zentest. Yay for consistency! (do a rake uninstall
to clean)
	- ZenTest excludes pretty_print methods.
	- Fixed unary operator issues (they were backwards... oops!) for
ZenTest.
	- unit_diff now runs diff.exe on Windoze. dunno if that will work.

   http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

--
_why: zenspider's most intense moments of solice are immediately
following the slaughter [...]

A few things which I would really like:
1. When a test fails, hyperlink the output to the line of code in the
source (somehow - not sure how this could be implemented), or at least
print out the relevant line of the source.

2. Print out the last few lines of the log as well (maybe proxy logger
- I actually wrote some code to do this).

3. Do the above with color coding, where avaible.

4. Add a system tray icon with a green, red, or gray (in process of
running) light.  (Although I know of no cross OS way to do this.)
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 29, 2006, at 9:18 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> A few things which I would really like:
> 1. When a test fails, hyperlink the output to the line of code in the
> source (somehow - not sure how this could be implemented), or at least
> print out the relevant line of the source.

I never touch the mouse while writing code and I'm typically on or
near the failing lines.  autotest really helps out with that because
it lets you focus your efforts.  Typically make parsing is a function
of your editor, so you should be able to adapt it to understand
Test::Unit output.

> 2. Print out the last few lines of the log as well (maybe proxy logger
> - I actually wrote some code to do this).

If you have to look at some log to figure out how to fix your tests
you don't have enough tests.  Good test coverage will give you
granular failures.

To my knowledge, most code that has tests doesn't log anything.

> 3. Do the above with color coding, where avaible.

Yuck.

> 4. Add a system tray icon with a green, red, or gray (in process of
> running) light.  (Although I know of no cross OS way to do this.)

We don't do windows, but we accept patches.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com