Forum: Ruby %r regex matching is ignoring my leading zeros

Dara S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 01:54
Hello,

I hope someone can help me or at least confirm that I'm not going
insane.

I have a model in which I'm trying to validate information before it
saves.
One particular field is for and expiration date.  The code in my model
to do the validation looks like this:

 validates_format_of :expiration,
                     :with       => %r{^[\d]{4,4}$},
                     :message    => "must be formatted (mmyy)"

The problem is if someone enter a date that starts with a zero like
"0309"  The validation somehow just doesn't "see" the leading zero and
keeps returning an error as though the user isn't submitting it
properly.  I did verify that the controller is definetly sending all
four digits in the post.

I tried different combinations like: r{^(0|1)[\d]{3}$} but no matter
what I did the zero was ignored.  I finally had to change it to look for
3 or 4 digits just to make it work but that of course isn't proper
validation as my submissions must have 4 digits.

Can anyone help me?  Am I going crazy here?

Thanks,
Dara
Schüle Daniel (Guest)
Dara Sanderson schrieb:
>  validates_format_of :expiration,
> I tried different combinations like: r{^(0|1)[\d]{3}$} but no matter
> what I did the zero was ignored.  I finally had to change it to look for
> 3 or 4 digits just to make it work but that of course isn't proper
> validation as my submissions must have 4 digits.
>
> Can anyone help me?  Am I going crazy here?
>
> Thanks,
> Dara

i am not an expert in RE but don't you think [\d]{4,4} should be
\d{4,4}

inside a class [] . and i think \ lose their special meaning

hth, Daniel
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Dara Sanderson wrote:

> validates_format_of :expiration,
> I tried different combinations like: r{^(0|1)[\d]{3}$} but no matter
> what I did the zero was ignored.  I finally had to change it to look for
> 3 or 4 digits just to make it work but that of course isn't proper
> validation as my submissions must have 4 digits.
>
> Can anyone help me?  Am I going crazy here?

My guess is that somewhere along the line the month is being turned
into an integer and back to a string, so that "03" becomes 3 and then
"3".  I don't know where, though.

David

"Ruby for Rails" chapters now available
gabriele renzi (Guest)
Dara Sanderson ha scritto:
>  validates_format_of :expiration,
>                      :with       => %r{^[\d]{4,4}$},
>                      :message    => "must be formatted (mmyy)"
>

> The problem is if someone enter a date that starts with a zero like
> "0309"  The validation somehow just doesn't "see" the leading zero and
> keeps returning an error as though the user isn't submitting it
> properly.  I did verify that the controller is definetly sending all
> four digits in the post.

I think I'd write the Regexp as:
%r{^\d{4}$}

Anyway, you one seem to work as expected on my box in irb:
irb(main):001:0> x=/^[\d]{4,4}$/
=> /^[\d]{4,4}$/
irb(main):002:0> x2=%r|^[\d]{4,4}$|
=> /^[\d]{4,4}$/
irb(main):003:0> x.match "0102"
=> #<MatchData:0x2c0b300>
irb(main):004:0> x2.match "0102"
=> #<MatchData:0x2c08fa8>

and in rails:
$cat app\models\foo.rb
class Foo < ActiveRecord::Base
  validates_format_of :bar, :with=>%r{^\d{4}$}
end

=> #<Foo:0x39658e8 @new_record=true, @attributes={"bar"=>""}>
 >> f.bar ="0123"
=> "0123"
 >> f.save
=> true
 >> f.bar ="012"
=> "012"
 >> f.save
=> false

what version of ruby are you running?
Maybe it could have been some damn pesky problem like not having
reloaded the model (this happened to me many times :) ?
Dara S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 05:10
First of all, thanks guys for trying to help.

I changed my model validation to remove the brackets from around the \d.
Still no dice.

When I tried it irb as Gabriele did it worked fine though.  Just doesn't
want to work on the actual form I'm using.

I'm afraid I dno't know how to test rails as you have here:

> and in rails:
> $cat app\models\foo.rb
> class Foo < ActiveRecord::Base
>   validates_format_of :bar, :with=>%r{^\d{4}$}
> end
>
>  >> f=Foo.new
> => #<Foo:0x39658e8 @new_record=true, @attributes={"bar"=>""}>
>  >> f.bar ="0123"
> => "0123"
>  >> f.save
> => true
>  >> f.bar ="012"
> => "012"
>  >> f.save
> => false
>
> what version of ruby are you running?
> Maybe it could have been some damn pesky problem like not having
> reloaded the model (this happened to me many times :) ?

I'm hosted on Dreamhost so they're on version 1.8.2 of ruby.

Maybe it does have something to do with conversion to a string.  Maybe
I'll try and manipulate it in my controller before saving.

Any other suggestions?
gabriele renzi (Guest)
Dara Sanderson ha scritto:
> First of all, thanks guys for trying to help.
>
> I changed my model validation to remove the brackets from around the \d.
> Still no dice.
>
> When I tried it irb as Gabriele did it worked fine though.  Just doesn't
> want to work on the actual form I'm using.
>
> I'm afraid I dno't know how to test rails as you have here:

this is just the the script/console thing in rails

> Any other suggestions?
It seem that the problem is hitting before the validation against the
regex is actually called, the string is mangled somewhere.
Maybe you can try defining your own validation method and checking that
the value is the expected one, or if maybe it is truncated as david
black suggested.