Forum: Ruby on Rails Poll: Which distro do you use for Rails/Ruby development?

Numlock (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 01:06
Good afternoon,
I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.

1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Thank you for your input. :-)
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 01:15
1. Yep
2. FC4.

Joe
James L. (Guest)
On 3/29/06, Numlock <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes

> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Fedora Core 5
Charlie B. (Guest)
I use fedora.

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 23:06 +0200, Numlock wrote:

> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
>
> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?
>
> Thank you for your input. :-)

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 01:43
Numlock wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Nope

> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

MacOSX.  I do, however, deploy onto Debian.

A.
Richard L. (Guest)
Numlock wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
>
> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Windows, although as soon as I scrape some extra cash together I plan on
getting a Mac.

Never thought I'd hear myself saying that!

--
R.Livsey
http://livsey.org
> Numlock wrote:
> > Good afternoon,
> > I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
> >
> > 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
Mac for development. Linux for hosting.

> > 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?
CentOS for my hosting.

> Windows, although as soon as I scrape some extra cash together I plan on
> getting a Mac.
>
> Never thought I'd hear myself saying that!

hehe... Trust me... You will love using TextMate and iTerm for
development. It absolutely rocks.

But for jokes... Here is a chart of what to expect.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3951/osxsatisfa...

But in reality. Switching to Mac those 2 years ago was the best thing
that ever happened to me. I love not having to spend 10% of my
personal time just keeping Windows working and virus free.

--
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 02:43

I have also installed a full ruby (1.8.4 RC1) + rails (1.1) that I run
under cygwin (because cygwin gives me a real shell under Windows) on my
laptop. I didn't tried with the cygwin version of ruby but I should...
Martin S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 02:44
Numlock wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
>
> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?
>
> Thank you for your input. :-)

OpenSuse 10.0
Apt4Suse http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/
KDE 3.5.1
Editor: Jedit (jedit.org)

I hate macs :)
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 02:52
Jón Borgþórsson wrote:

> hehe... Trust me... You will love using TextMate and iTerm for
> development. It absolutely rocks.
>
> But for jokes... Here is a chart of what to expect.
> http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3951/osxsatisfa...

LOL, what's day 3 all about?

Joe
Stephen B. (Guest)
I had a small working app with three models and one controller. I
decided to add a table_name_prefix to the tables because I am
planning to deploy to a shared hosting environment where multiple
rails apps will use the same database.

I added this to config/environment.rb:

   ActiveRecord::Base.table_name_prefix = 'teemss2_'

I deleted the existing tables and the file db/schema.rb and ran rake
migrate again. Doing rake

I now have the same set of tables in the db with a prefix on their
names BUT when I try and execute a controller

database name: teemss2_development
table_name_prefix: teemss2_
table name: activities

I would think that Active Record should be trying to load:

   teemss2_development.teemss2_activities

Instead it is trying to load:

   teemss2_development.activities

which doesn't exist.

I'm sure I shouldn't have to refer to the actual table_name_prefix in
my controllers. In fact I don't see how I can.

I've been looking at the rails source for clues and I'll try a simple
smaple app from scratch using table_name_prefix to see if the
controllers work and what if any differences I can find.

Here the stack trace:

Instead here
Mysql::Error: #42S02Table 'teemss2_development.activities' doesn't
exist: SHOW FIELDS FROM activities
RAILS_ROOT: script/../config/..
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:120:in
`log'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:185:in
`execute'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:293:in
`columns'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/base.rb:696:in
`columns'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/calculations.rb:212:in
`column_for'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/calculations.rb:135:in
`calculate'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.0/lib/active_record/calculations.rb:64:in
`count'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.0/lib/action_controller/pagination.rb:172:in
`count_collection_for_pagination'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.0/lib/action_controller/pagination.rb:196:in
`paginator_and_collection_for'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.0/lib/action_controller/pagination.rb:129:in
`paginate'
#{RAILS_ROOT}/app/controllers/page_controller.rb:13:in `list'
Bakki K. (Guest)
Debian Sarge

bakki
Ben R. (Guest)
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

No, mainly Mac and Windows

All my hosting is done on Gentoo Linux

On 3/29/06, Numlock <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>

> Thank you for your input. :-)
>
> --

Ben R.
http://www.benr75.com
Jón B. (Guest)
> Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
> >
> > hehe... Trust me... You will love using TextMate and iTerm for
> > development. It absolutely rocks.
> >
> > But for jokes... Here is a chart of what to expect.
> > http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3951/osxsatisfa...
>
> LOL, what's day 3 all about?

hehe... Even though MacOS is much simpler in use than Windows, it is a
bit of a shock moving into it. You keep looking for the start button.

--
Jeremy C. (Guest)
Ubuntu ... when in Linux, I develop on Mac OS X most of the time.

Jeremy
http://lifewithchrist.org <--- currently being redeveloped in RoR
Gregory S. (Guest)
On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:06:34PM +0200, Numlock wrote:
} Good afternoon,
} I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
}
} 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes.

} 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Debian testing/unstable.

} Thank you for your input. :-)
--Greg
Lori O. (Guest)
On Wednesday, March 29, 2006, at 11:06 PM, Numlock wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
>1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes, for the build server, Fedora Core 4.  Staging and production
servers are RedHat EL4.

>2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Mac OSX.

--
Lori O.
http://blog.dragonsharp.com

> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes. Both development and deployment on Linux.

> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Fedora Core 4 for both.

Guy.

--
Family management on rails: http://www.famundo.com - coming soon!
My development related blog: http://devblog.famundo.com

http://tw.apinc.org/weblog/2006/02/26#a-closer-loo...
Vincent G. (Guest)
Archlinux

On 30 Mar 2006 00:28:01 -0000, Henry T. <
David M. (Guest)
Develop on Windows and Ubuntu.

Test on Gentoo (i.e. my latest "presumed good" version is on Gentoo)

Production is on Gentoo (for things I host myself) and whatever
Dreamhost uses (for things that aren't)

Regards

Dave M.
Matthew B. (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 23:06 +0200, Numlock wrote:
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes

> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Gentoo

(debian for servers if the load isn't a large scale one)

--

-Matthew B.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid :: 607 227 0871
Numlock wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
>
> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?
>
> Thank you for your input. :-)

1. Sometimes.  I use both Linux and Windows 2000.

2. I use Debian 3.1 (sarge) because I like to develop on the same distro
as the production server.  Too bad rails 1.1 breaks 'rake freeze_edge'
for Debian 3.1 shared hosts (because Debian 3.1 still uses svn 1.1.4
which doesn't support the --limit option).

In the future, I'll probably buy a Mac and develop on that.  And deploy
on Ubuntu 7.x because I think their server version will become VERY
compelling over the next 12 months for current Debian users.
Allen F. (Guest)
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Developing on Gentoo
Deploying on FreeBSD (Did you see that coming?)

:-)
Larry K. (Guest)
Yep,
Started using Fedora Core 5 last week.  Really easy to set up.
Radrails 0.6.1 with Rails 1.1, Ruby 1.8.4

Also develop on WindowsXP.

Sorry, don't have a Mac.  My son won't let me borrow his :)
-Larry

--
Best Regards,
-Larry

-- G.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Yes, I use Linux ... Gentoo Linux.

Guido S. wrote:
>> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
John H. (Guest)
My developers work on Ubuntu, while I work on a Mac.

John
Keith L. (Guest)
on 2006-04-16 08:34
We develop on mac and Windows (me on the mac). Going back to the mac
after 10 year absense is the best thing I've done for myself in a LONG
time.

Deploy (currently) to Windows, with svn running on Suse. Looking into
deploying on x serve (mac os and hardware).

Keith
Christian K. (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 03:57
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
 No
> 2) [If you use Linux], which distro do you normally use to develop?
 Windows XP Pro SP2
Vince W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 04:29
Numlock wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>
> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes.

> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

Archlinux for development. Debian and Ubuntu for deployment.
Aaron K. (Guest)
Numlock wrote:
> > Good afternoon,
> > I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
> >
> > 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?

Yes.

> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?

 Gentoo
Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 23:12
>> > 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
> Yes.
>
>> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?
>  Gentoo

same and same. IMO the biggest problem for using linux for development,
is the lack of a web browser that is both decent and fast. Konqueror has
a tendency to lock up for 10 seconds after loading a page with heavy
javascript, and easily runs into the hundreds of MB's of RAM. Firefox is
slow all around (although with heavy JS its faster than Konqi) and has
similar RAM problems. Opera's CSS/AJAX stuff is screwed in general, and
it requires a multilib setup to use if youre on 64bit. IE6 in WINE is
probably the fastest, but for whatever reason Maxton/Slimbrowser won't
run..
Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 23:20
> same and same. IMO the biggest problem for using linux for development,
> is the lack of a web browser that is both decent and fast.

Ruby-Gtk2MozEmbed is cool though. especially the HTML Editor with live
preview. im pretty sick of continually paging between emacs and
shitty-browser-of-choice and hitting reload and am about to just glue
all of this together with mongrel and sqlite.. refreshing the page every
time you edit a single character.. i guess its not as good as developing
in Squeak but pretty close
Fido G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 23:47
Richard L. wrote:
> Numlock wrote:
>> Good afternoon,
>> I've two quick questions for the Ruby/Rails community.
>>
>> 1) Do you use Linux for Ruby or Rails development?
>>
>> 2) If you use Linux, which distro do you normally use to develop?
>>

> Windows, although as soon as I scrape some extra cash together I plan on
> getting a Mac.
>
> Never thought I'd hear myself saying that!
>
> --
> R.Livsey
> http://livsey.org

Same here. I'm also planning on learning Linux and I will be using
Ubuntu.
Devon Jones (Guest)
Fido Gesiwuj wrote:

> Same here. I'm also planning on learning Linux and I will be using
> Ubuntu.

1) Yes and No.  I use Linux and FreeBSD dependent on the customer
2) In order of preference Gentoo Linux (the easiest to get rails playing
nicely with apache in my experience), Ubuntu, Debian

Devon Jones
Peter S. (Guest)

I have switched from gentoo to ubuntu quite some time ago (i think
around Warty) and i like it very much! However, getting Rails to run
gave me 2 days of headache... Find out why:

http://www.rubyrailways.com/?p=6

But, after this lesson learned i would still recommend linux, and the
distro... well, gentoo, debian, or ubuntu. I am very curious about
Rubuntu - i am not sure about its release date (or is it released
already?) - that might by a very interesting alternative as well.

Cheers,
Peter
Chris M. (Guest)
On 4/17/06, Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have switched from gentoo to ubuntu quite some time ago (i think
> around Warty) and i like it very much! However, getting Rails to run
> gave me 2 days of headache... Find out why:
>
> http://www.rubyrailways.com/?p=6

FWIW you could've also done
sudo apt-get install libmysql-ruby
instead of fussing with the gem

1. Yes
2. Debian / Kubuntu

I also use OS X, but typically run my KDE apps via fink, so it's still
Linux to me.

--

Chris M.
Web D.
Chris M. wrote:
> sudo apt-get install libmysql-ruby
> instead of fussing with the gem
Heh, do you think i did not try that? Maybe it was not clear from the
sentence

'Under Ubuntu, the MySQL-Ruby binding was outdated'

I just upgraded to dapper an hour before i begun with the rails install,
so i assume my repositories were as up-to-date as possible. Yet i got a
message during the scaffold generation, saying that i should create the
DB table for my model (what i did of course) and the rails book
suggested that this is an outdated mysql-ruby connector problem. Because
of this i begun the gem Via-Dolorosa ;-)

Cheers,
Peter