Forum: Ruby Tools to improve testing

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Imobach González Sosa (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 19:18
(Received via mailing list)
Hi all,

An easy one: what tools do you use to improve testing? I've read some
about ZenTest and looks very nice. But I'd like to hear more about
tools (or frameworks) to make Ruby programmers happy even when writing
tests (I love to have tests, but I hate write them ;) ).

Any recommendation?

Thank in advance.
pat eyler (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 19:34
(Received via mailing list)
autotest and unit diff (both in ZenTest) are awesome.

The big thing is just procedural -- getting used to it.   I've been
writing some code with Sean C., and writing it in a Ping
Pong style has been great.   Sean will write a test, check it
in, and let me know.  Then I need to get his test to pass, write
a new test, check it in and let him know.

Writing code this way has been a blast (it's more like playing a
game than working on a project).  I'm convinced it would be
even more fun if Sean and I were pairing in person instead of
by email.  The comments I've heard from others would seem
to bear this out.

Good luck, and have fun with testing.
Chiaro S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 01:12
(Received via mailing list)
I have done PingPong programming in the past using the collaborative
editor moonedit.  it's really cool, even if it limits you to a single
text file.  gobby is another promising one.

A good challenge would be to make FreeRIDE multiuser...

On 3/29/06, pat eyler <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Writing code this way has been a blast (it's more like playing a
> game than working on a project).  I'm convinced it would be
> even more fun if Sean and I were pairing in person instead of
> by email.  The comments I've heard from others would seem
> to bear this out.
>
> Good luck, and have fun with testing.

Chiaroscuro
---
Liquid Development: http://liquiddevelopment.blogspot.com/
pat eyler (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 01:27
(Received via mailing list)
On 3/29/06, chiaro scuro <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I have done PingPong programming in the past using the collaborative
> editor moonedit.  it's really cool, even if it limits you to a single
> text file.  gobby is another promising one.

Sean and I have not tried a multi-user editor yet, though we've kicked
the idea around.  So far, we've coordinated by by svn.

Does the collaborative editor allow you to communicate well enough,
or do you supplement with IM/irc/something?

>
> A good challenge would be to make FreeRIDE multiuser...

hmm, if that happens I might have to look at using FreeRIDE.
Chiaro S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 02:00
(Received via mailing list)
On 3/29/06, pat eyler <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> Sean and I have not tried a multi-user editor yet, though we've kicked
> the idea around.  So far, we've coordinated by by svn.


We communicated by code :-)  Strange enough it seemed to work very
well.. if
the Intent of my tests waasn't clear, I could see my partner esitate
with
his code.. and I started making the tests more expressive.  It's
difficult
to explain it.  It must be tried :-)

Moonedit, although it looks oldish, is very effective and it also has a
very
cool history replay feature that allows you to playback the whole
session.
If you download moonedit I can send you some example session.


>
> > A good challenge would be to make FreeRIDE multiuser...
>
> hmm, if that happens I might have to look at using FreeRIDE.


If you could make it multiuser it would be fantastic :-)
The code of FreeRIDE is very clean and based on a plugin architecture.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.