Forum: Ruby on Rails ruby in the enterprise

Nicholas Ursa (Guest)
Hi all, please forgive me for such a newbie question, but I thought it
would
best to tap the wealth of experience here.

I'm a new Rails guy but I'm evaluating frameworks for use in an intranet
at
a back whose internal systems are Oracle on linux. For now all my data
will
be on a dedicated box but down the road I may need to make calls into
other
databases hosted on other machines, running sybase or Oracle to retrieve
data. I view this as an opportunity to push rails into a legacy
envirnmoent
and show the staff there what it can do.

If I need to pull data in from outside tables on other machines, can I
define them in model, or skip the abstraction and just parse raw SQL
calls.
Can RoR integrate many external systems without expecting write access ?

[my box: oracle 10gi + apache2 + fastCGI + ROR] <---> [Oracle Enterprise
DB
on mainframe]

anybody have experience with this ? I don't want to descend back into
PHP if
I don't have to, but python with another framework is also an option.

thanks, all, i truly appreciate it.

Also, anybody here from Toronto, I'd like to meet up sometime and work
on
projects together, and I need a mentor.

n.
Ivan M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 19:59
Hi, Nicholas.
There is no problem to use RoR with Oracle to do everything you want.
I'm using it to create a work-platform for my enterprise.
RoR is less friendly then php but it is more powerfull.
Ivan.