Forum: Ruby One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is avail

Curt H. (Guest)
The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.

We are almost there to a final relase. There are only a couple minor
issues, and those are with the installer itself, not the Ruby runtime
that you get installed.

The main problem is that when you uninstall, the Start Menu entries
are not removed. Plus, the RUBYOPT environment variable is still being
set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
options. Both of these are easy to work around.

The main changes/fixes in this release are:

    * SciTE now defaults to two-space tabs and indents for ruby
      files.
    * Standalone "ri" and "rdoc" files now exist in the ruby\bin
      directory it you use the RDT plugin for Eclipse (RDT was
      unable to use the ri.bat and rdoc.bat files).
    * The file associations and icons for .rb and .rbw files now
      work properly.
    * The C-based XML Parser is now included.

Curt
Justin B. (Guest)
How about SSL support in open-uri and Net::HTTP?
Curt H. (Guest)
OpenSSL support is included. See the samples in:

  ruby\src\ruby-1.8.4\sample\openssl

Curt
Dave B. (Guest)
Curt H. announced:
> One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

Hi Curt,

We corresponded a while back about the inclusion of all or part of
win32utils in the Installer. Is that going to happen for 1.8.4-16?

Cheers,
Dave
Curt H. (Guest)
On 3/29/06, Dave B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Curt H. announced:
> > One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!
>
> Hi Curt,
>
> We corresponded a while back about the inclusion of all or part of
> win32utils in the Installer. Is that going to happen for 1.8.4-16?

No, its not.

Daniel B., the author of win32utils decided that he would prefer
they not be included. Its been a while, but I believe it was because
it was because doing so would limit he flexibility in canging the APIs
and refactoring the functionality across different packages.

Curt
Joe P. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 17:46
Curt H. wrote:
> The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
> available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
>
><snip>
>
> Curt

Curt,
Thank you!
Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has.  Many of us,
even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
made this very accessible.

Thanks again!
joe
Curt H. (Guest)
Thanks!

Curt
Gary W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 18:49
Curt H. wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Curt

ditto, thankyou very much for all your hard work.
Gary W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 19:10
Gary W. wrote:
> Curt H. wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Curt
>
> ditto, thankyou very much for all your hard work.

I feel a little sheepish, I didn't realize I was replying to one of
Curt's posts.  The sentiment remains the same though.

  Thanks again,
        Gary
Tom C. (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 22:46 +0900, Joe P. wrote:
> Curt,
> Thank you!
> Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
> rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has.  Many of us,
> even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
> machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
> made this very accessible.

So true.  I was going to buy Curt's new book already:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyrails/

But even if I had zero interest in the subject matter, I'd buy it just
to say thanks to Curt for all the work he's done on the 1 click
installer!

Yours,

Tom
List R. (Guest)
I second the thanks for the installer - nice work.

How 'bout root certs to verify SSL - otherwise http-access2 SSL crashes
by default - I know that this can be very irksome (do a Google search
to see all the people confused...)
James B. (Guest)
Curt H. wrote:
> options. Both of these are easy to work around.

It still breaks my file type ->  editor association.  After installing
this version, I could not longer right-click and select Edit to open a
.rb file in gvim; I was prompted to select an application for this.

Even though I unselected the options to install Scite and FreeRide, the
installer is still setting the Edit option to

"c:\ruby\scite\scite.exe" "%1" %*

:(

Thanks, though, for the great work done!

James
Curt H. (Guest)
On 4/2/06, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
> "c:\ruby\scite\scite.exe" "%1" %*
>
> :(
>

> Thanks, though, for the great work done!
>
> James

Thanks James, I'll create a bug report for this. I think you reported
this before but I confused it with a similar problem.

Curt