Forum: Ruby on Rails Your RoR 1.1 Adoption Prediction?

Joe P. (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 22:58
What is the likelyhood that major inexpensive webhosts like godaddy,
bluehost, etc. will upgrade to RoR 1.1?  Is this going to be like PHP 5
where it has to percolate for a year or more before it becomes widly
available?  Your thoughts?

Along the same lines... is it possible to adopt some of the new improved
Ajax / javascript capabilities without actually upgrading the ruby
installation?

Thanks in advance.
Charlie B. (Guest)
I would just run 1.1 out of the vendor folder.  I wouldn't even try to
guess when a hosting company would upgrade.

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 20:58 +0200, Joe P. wrote:

> What is the likelyhood that major inexpensive webhosts like godaddy,
> bluehost, etc. will upgrade to RoR 1.1?  Is this going to be like PHP 5
> where it has to percolate for a year or more before it becomes widly
> available?  Your thoughts?
>
> Along the same lines... is it possible to adopt some of the new improved
> Ajax / javascript capabilities without actually upgrading the ruby
> installation?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Jón B. (Guest)
I think it's really a market decision. The main reason for why PHP5
has such a slow adoption is because developers really haven't started
using it. And fewer apps are going to have problems.
Rails user base is much smaller and a lot higher persent of it is
professional. So the hosting companies will switch over when we ask
them to.

On 3/28/06, Joe P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> --

Eric G. (Guest)
rake freeze_edge REVISION=4091

-Eric

Charlie B. wrote:
>> Along the same lines... is it possible to adopt some of the new improved

Eric G.
http://www.ericgoodwin.com
Kevin O. (Guest)
So the real issue here is if your host supports Ruby 1.8.4.
You can always do something like use a subversion external to link to
the rails 1.1 release, which will put the code in your vendor directory.

You don't need your host for that.
However, rails 1.1 needs ruby 1.8.4, without that you may have trouble.

-Kevin
Yaroslav Markin (Guest)
TextDrive support said they are updating today.

Regarding "major".. IMO it's a no-brainer to host Rails application at
godaddy.