Forum: Ruby on Rails Problem with generating a scaffold with an Oracle DB

Tom H. (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 19:50
Hi all,

I have confgured my oracle application with the Oracle Express
Production release database. This all is configured well and tested(I
can see that he founds the database). However, when I generate a
scaffold application there is no view for the CRUD functions created for
the application.
Below is listed what is generated for me for a Products table:

E:\workdir\ruby\depot>ruby script/generate scaffold Product Admin
      exists  app/controllers/
      exists  app/helpers/
      create  app/views/admin
      exists  test/functional/
  dependency  model
      exists    app/models/
      exists    test/unit/
      exists    test/fixtures/
      create    app/models/product.rb
      create    test/unit/product_test.rb
      create    test/fixtures/products.yml
ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed

What is the problem here, because according to my tutorial in the fine
book "Agile webdevelopment with Rails" it should create view components.

Does anyone see the problem here?

Thanks in advance!

-Tom
William G. (Guest)
Hey Tom,

Looks like a problem connecting to Oracle.  The 'ORA-12537:
TNS:connection closed' is an Oracle error.

Have you tried just generating a model and starting the console to
check connectivity?

try this:

ruby script/generate model Product

when done start up the console:

ruby script/console
 >>p = Product.new
 >>p.save

See if you get an error message on the 'p.save' line.  You may want
to check that Oracle is allowing connections from remote hosts.

According to ora-code.com, ora-12537 is defined as:

ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed
Cause: 'End of file' condition has been reached; partner has
disconnected.
Action: None needed; this is an information message.

Hope this helps.

-wilig
Tom H. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 11:05
William G. wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> Looks like a problem connecting to Oracle.  The 'ORA-12537:
> TNS:connection closed' is an Oracle error.
>
> Have you tried just generating a model and starting the console to
> check connectivity?
>
> try this:
>
> ruby script/generate model Product
>
> when done start up the console:
>
> ruby script/console
>  >>p = Product.new
>  >>p.save
>
> See if you get an error message on the 'p.save' line.  You may want
> to check that Oracle is allowing connections from remote hosts.
>
> According to ora-code.com, ora-12537 is defined as:
>
> ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed
> Cause: 'End of file' condition has been reached; partner has
> disconnected.
> Action: None needed; this is an information message.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -wilig

Hi Wilig,

I have already solved the problem. The settings in my database.yml where
not the same as in the tnsnames.ora file of my DB installation.

The problem is now fixed and everythings works perfectly