Forum: Typo Rails 1.1?

Scott L. (Guest)
So, it's out.  What do we do?

Scott
Jón B. (Guest)
Well... Fixing the "enable_upload_progress" bug so that typo will work
with rails 1.1 would be a start.

-------------
Jon Gretar B.

On 3/28/06, Scott L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

It's more then that; Typo plugins are broken, too.

Scott
Denis L. (Guest)
if the upgrade done are not any more valid for rails 1.0
we need to specify which version will still work with rails 1.0 and wich
one will only work with rails 1.1

Lanfeust
Gary S. (Guest)
On 28 Mar 2006, at 15:35, Jon Gretar B. wrote:

> Well... Fixing the "enable_upload_progress" bug so that typo will work
> with rails 1.1 would be a start.
>

> -------------
> Jon Gretar B.
>
> On 3/28/06, Scott L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> So, it's out.  What do we do?

Well apart from what Jon mentions, how far away is Typo from being
1.1 compatible?  I do have a beady eye on it because last time
Dreamhost did the upgrade with no notice.  I'd say the prospect of
hosting companies upgrading is still a few weeks away.  There's time
there to look at what needs to be done.

Gary
Jón B. (Guest)
I'm pretty sure that there can be a way to accommodate both. And some
things can probably be solved by asking users to install a specific
plugin if using version 1.1 or 1.0.

But starting to use 1.1 only at some point will enable the use of the
new features in 1.1. I like many of them like the new "has_many
:through" and RJS. I think 1.1 features could actually shorten the
typo code considerably.

On 3/28/06, Denis L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that there can be a way to accommodate both. And some
> things can probably be solved by asking users to install a specific
> plugin if using version 1.1 or 1.0.
>
> But starting to use 1.1 only at some point will enable the use of the
> new features in 1.1. I like many of them like the new "has_many
> :through" and RJS. I think 1.1 features could actually shorten the
> typo code considerably.

Oh ghod yes! I so want has_many :through. And polymorphic associations
wouldn't go amiss either, though that's less of an issue now we're
using a contents table rather than separate tables for articles,
trackbacks and comments.
Nicholas Van W. (Guest)
Textdrive upgraded today already. No warning, broke my app.
Jake G. (Guest)
DH is upgrading... just WAITING for my blog to go down :(

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/03/28/new-rails/
Dean S. (Guest)
Dreamhost also upgraded already.
Steve L. (Guest)
I ran afoul of Textdrive also.  The only way to keep running there is to
roll back to Rails 1.0 by running:

rake freeze_edge REVISION=3303

FYI when you run a "newer" release of Typo (somewhere in the late
r800's) it
consumes enough memory that the Textdrive servers will kill the process
anyway.  Until memory consumption can be reigned in, no one will be
running
a newer version of Typo on Textdrive's servers.  Something holds on too
way
more memory than it should.  I haven't been able to track it down yet.

Mostly because other than ObjectSpace to see in general how many objects
there are, I don't know of a way to see how much memory a given
object/set
of objects is taking up.  Would a C extension to call sizeOf be
necessary or
the some other way to findout Object memory size in Ruby?

-Steve
Jón B. (Guest)
Seeing that many of the bigger hosting companies have upgraded to
version 1.1 after just one day I have to say that any fancy methods of
supporting both 1.0 and 1.1 are unneeded and will only complex typo. I
think the best thing to do is to make the current trunk be the last
version to support 1.0 and make an archive of it available in some
back support page.

I think it is quite obvious that rails 1.0 is not going to be with us
for long.

Jon Gretar B. <jon.borgthorsson <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Seeing that many of the bigger hosting companies have upgraded to
> version 1.1 after just one day I have to say that any fancy methods of
> supporting both 1.0 and 1.1 are unneeded and will only complex typo. I
> think the best thing to do is to make the current trunk be the last
> version to support 1.0 and make an archive of it available in some
> back support page.

Based on my experience today at dreamhost, I agree.  Let's just go for
support
with 1.1.

Here's the blow by blow recount of a few intense 2 hours to force my
typo
install to use good old 1.0:
http://blog.nanorails.com/articles/2006/03/28/rake...
http://blog.nanorails.com/articles/2006/03/28/free...

Cheers,
Pascal.
Robert Ivanc (Guest)
frozen rails that works at dreamhost is at
http://clarity.awakeheart.net/rails.zip

the rake freeze_edge didn't work enough, I had to follow Pascal's
instructions and unpack all the gems manually.

Regards,
 Robert
Kyle H. (Guest)
I host with TextDrive and so far so good. They apparently haven't
upgraded
all of their servers because I'm on burnaby and don't version 1.0 is
available (as well as many earlier versions) but no 1.1 yet.

Kyle H.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
www.kyleheon.com
Steve L. (Guest)
Textdrive rolled it back is all.  Eventually the change will be upon you
:-)

http://help.textdrive.com/index.php?pg=forums.post...