Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 1.1 released

Joshua S. (Guest)
I haven't seen a note here on the list, so in case anyone doesn't
have their RSS reader glued to the relevant blogs...

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/articles/2006/03/28/...
active-record-respond_to-integration-tests-and-500-other-things

Congrats to David and all the core team, and thanks for your
dedication and all the work. This release looks really solid and has
some kick-ass features. Now get some sleep, y'all.

--josh
Josh S.
http://blog.hasmanythrough.com
Alex Y. (Guest)
Joshua S. wrote:
> I haven't seen a note here on the list, so in case anyone doesn't  have
> their RSS reader glued to the relevant blogs...
>
> http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/articles/2006/03/28/...
> active-record-respond_to-integration-tests-and-500-other-things

Woohoo!  Congratulations all round!

Just looking through that, I spotted some odd syntax:
>  # Single database query:
>   companies = Company.find(:all, :include => {
>     :groups => { :members=> { :favorites } } })
While the feature is undeniably cool, I can't work out how it works...
What's going on there?  How does {:favorites} get parsed in that
context?  IRb gives me a compile error for {:favorites} in Ruby 1.8.2...
  Is that a 1.8.4 thing?
Mikkel B. (Guest)
On Tuesday, March 28, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Alex Y. wrote:
>>  # Single database query:
>>   companies = Company.find(:all, :include => {
>>     :groups => { :members=> { :favorites } } })
>While the feature is undeniably cool, I can't work out how it works...
>What's going on there?  How does {:favorites} get parsed in that
>context?  IRb gives me a compile error for {:favorites} in Ruby 1.8.2...
>  Is that a 1.8.4 thing?
>
>--

No it a rails thing...

It reads find Company, join on groups and join on members and favorites

:groups,:members,:favorites are the names of some associations...

Mikkel B.

www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
Alex Y. (Guest)
Mikkel B. wrote:
>>--
>

> No it a rails thing...
>
> It reads find Company, join on groups and join on members and favorites
>
> :groups,:members,:favorites are the names of some associations...
I know that...  I'm not querying the functionality.  It's how it works
that I'm intrigued by.  Is {:favorites} a default-valued hash?  A proc?
  A bad example?

I guess I'll have to delve into the source to see what it's doing.
Jamis B. (Guest)
On Mar 28, 2006, at 1:58 AM, Alex Y. wrote:

>>> 1.8.2...
>
> I guess I'll have to delve into the source to see what it's doing.

It's a bad example. Should be { :members => :favorites }, not
{ :members => { :favorites } }

- Jamis
Justin F. (Guest)
Joshua S. wrote:
> I haven't seen a note here on the list, so in case anyone doesn't have
> their RSS reader glued to the relevant blogs...

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/articles/2006/03/28/...

> Congrats to David and all the core team, and thanks for your dedication
> and all the work. This release looks really solid and has some kick-ass
> features. Now get some sleep, y'all.

+1

Good to see many positive comments on Slashdot, too:

     http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/03/28/1634201.shtml

   Justin