Forum: Ruby on Rails blank page output

Roberto M. (Guest)
Hello, I'm new to Ruby and RubyOnRails. I'm running Fedora 4 which comes
with Ruby 1.84-1. I installed rubyonrails, and I'm doing the a sample
program found on
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rail...
I ran ruby script/generate controller MyTest. I edited the file
my_test_controller.rb. Here's the code I entered

class MyTestController < ApplicationController
	def index
		render_text "Hello World, my first line of Ruby"

I save the file. I then ran the browser with the following url

http://127.0.0.1:3000/My_Test/

I get a blank page, no output.

if I do

http://127.0.0.1:3000/garbage/

I still get a blank page instead of a NOT FOUND message.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

If anyone out there has an idea what, Thanks :)

believed to be clean.
Craig W. (Guest)
On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 22:31 -0500, Roberto M. wrote:
> 	end
> http://127.0.0.1:3000/garbage/
>
> I still get a blank page instead of a NOT FOUND message.
>
> I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
>
> If anyone out there has an idea what, Thanks :)
----
try lower case...

http://127.0.0.1:3000/my_test
or (I find this easier)
http://localhost:3000/my_test
or (I find this even easier)
localhost/my_test

Windows seems to ignore case sensitivities...

Windows sees "My_Test" and "my_test" as the same name, UNIX/Linux does
not.

Craig
Roberto M. (Guest)
I'm running this on my Fedora 4. I've tried lowercase, but same result

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 20:55 -0700, Craig W. wrote:
> > 		render_text "Hello World, my first line of Ruby"
> >
> http://127.0.0.1:3000/my_test
> Craig

believed to be clean.
Craig W. (Guest)
what is output of...

cd cookbook # get into the right directory on the command line

cat app/models/my_test_controller.rb

tail log/development.log

Craig
Jon L. (Guest)
Try deleting your session variables.
/tmp/ruby_sess*

On 28/03/06, Roberto M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>         end
> http://127.0.0.1:3000/garbage/
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

http://www.snowblink.co.uk/
Roberto M. (Guest)
Figured it out. Fedora 4 installs only ruby by default. I searched
Google fedora 4 and ruby. I found out that you don't only need ruby, but
the following file

ruby-devel
ruby-libs
irb
rdoc

I installed them (and everything else related Ruby that I could find in
Fedora) and now it works.

Thanks for your patience people
Take Care