Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: widgets on rails?

Dean M. (Guest)
> Has anybody played around with using Rails to create Mac OS X
> Dashboard Widgets?
>
> Or is that just sick and wrong?

Neither, in my opinion but from my understanding, Mac OS X Widgets (and
Yahoo! Widgets) are built, for the most part, with HTML+CSS+Javascript.
I think you can also leverage built-in Mac OS X libraries and run *Ruby*
scripts inside your widget since Ruby is shipped with the OS.  Alas, RoR
does not come shipped with Mac OS X (yet?).

You could build web services with RoR to feed your widget but the actual
widgets only use client-side web technology.

developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html
Giles B. (Guest)
On 3/27/06, Dean M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> You could build web services with RoR to feed your widget but the actual
> widgets only use client-side web technology.
>
> developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html

well -- I think it may depend on if dashboard supports hrefs. if it
does, you could probably actually do it if you just put a javascript
statement in the widget. the JS would be a localhost href to a Ruby
script which would launch WEBrick, and that script could then forward
the "browser" (Dashboard) to a Rails app running on localhost using
WEBrick and SQLite.

and from there on in, yeah, web services, or Ajax, or anything really.

I do actually think there's a very strong possibility of sick and
wrong here, to be honest with you. (on the bright side, it's also a
great excuse to buy a Mac.)

--
Giles B.
www.gilesgoatboy.org