Forum: Ruby on Rails Problem installing Rails

Hari N. (Guest)
on 2006-03-27 23:34
Hi
 I am getting the following error when i tried to install rails in
windows using command prompt....

Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
    Error fetching remote gem cache: getaddrinfo: no address associated
with hostname.

There are proxy settings in my institute and i need to set it up from
the command prompt? pls explain with an example..

Thanks in Advance..
John B. (Guest)
On 3/27/06, Hari N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> There are proxy settings in my institute and i need to set it up from
> the command prompt? pls explain with an example..

Hari,

You can tell gem to use a proxy server by (I believe) either setting the
HTTP_PROXY environment variable, or by setting the -p (--http-proxy)
flag
when invoking gem. e.g.

$ export HTTP_PROXY=http://myproxy:80/
$ gem install foo

or

$ gem install --http-proxy http://myproxy:80/ foo

~ j.
sean lynch (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 00:03
I'm not the best person to answer Windows questions. Haven't used it for
a good long while. (emphasis on the 'good')

But if you know the url for your proxy, you can set up gem to go through
it

Look here:
http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/13

in section 5.10

-sean

Hari N. wrote:
> Hi
>  I am getting the following error when i tried to install rails in
> windows using command prompt....
>
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
>     Error fetching remote gem cache: getaddrinfo: no address associated
> with hostname.
>
> There are proxy settings in my institute and i need to set it up from
> the command prompt? pls explain with an example..
>
> Thanks in Advance..
Hari N. (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 00:09
thanx but i'm using windows and tats the problemm..if it hab been linux
i could have installed it earlier itself

John B. wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Hari N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> There are proxy settings in my institute and i need to set it up from
>> the command prompt? pls explain with an example..
>>

> Hari,
>
> You can tell gem to use a proxy server by (I believe) either setting the
> HTTP_PROXY environment variable, or by setting the -p (--http-proxy)
> flag
> when invoking gem. e.g.
>
> $ export HTTP_PROXY=http://myproxy:80/
> $ gem install foo
>
> or
>
> $ gem install --http-proxy http://myproxy:80/ foo
>

> ~ j.
Anonymous (Guest)
In Windows, you can directly set the environment variables in the
command prompt. Set the variables HTTP_PROXY, HTTP_PROXY_USER and
HTTP_PROXY_PASS, and then execute "gem install rails --remote".
This should make it work.
Thanks!!!
Wifer (Guest)
on 2007-04-24 17:03
John B. wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Hari N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> There are proxy settings in my institute and i need to set it up from
>> the command prompt? pls explain with an example..
>>

> Hari,
>
> You can tell gem to use a proxy server by (I believe) either setting the
> HTTP_PROXY environment variable, or by setting the -p (--http-proxy)
> flag
> when invoking gem. e.g.
>
> $ export HTTP_PROXY=http://myproxy:80/
> $ gem install foo