Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: PDF writing

dmatsueda (Guest)
> I have to create a PDF from ruby (partly because browsers
> are so poor
> at printing html pages  - why is that?).

Well, two reasons:
1) because web browsers are meant to display content on the screen and I
don't think Sir Barnes-Lee ever intended HTML to be used for
presentation purposes on a piece of paper.

2) screen and print are two completely different mediums.  It's kinda
like saying, why does the picture quality suck on the radio?  Now, if
web browsers could parse PostScript, and we authored our web pages in
PostScript, well then we'd probably have a legitimate complaint... :)

In any case, another option to the PDF solution is to use CSS:

		href="/path/to/your/print-style-sheet.css"
		media="print" />

Recent insights on this from Eric Meyer here:
www.alistapart.com/articles/alaprintstyles