Forum: Ruby File.open and File.new problem for a newbie

Jean-Francois Boisvieux (Guest)
Hello

I'm pretty new to ruby and I've written some code to parse apache logs,
it works but now I want to store the result in a file. The problem is as
follow (using irb)

irb(main):001:0> foo = File.open("test")
Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - test
         from (irb):1:in `initialize'
         from (irb):1:in `open'
         from (irb):1

I just do not understand the problem ( I can create a file with python
in the same directory ), what's wrong for me ?

thanks for a quick answer

Jean-Fran├žois
Daniel H. (Guest)
On Mar 26, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Jean-Francois Boisvieux wrote:

> I just do not understand the problem ( I can create a file with
> python in the same directory ), what's wrong for me ?

You must open the file for writing:

open("test", "w") do |file|
   # ...
end # -> File is automatically closed here, even if an exception is
thrown.

-- Daniel