Forum: Ruby on Rails help with rails and apache

Josh K. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 16:50
i just went through the tutorial on
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoInsta...
but i'm having some problems.

when i add:
<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
    FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/fcgi_ipc/
    AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
</IfModule>

under the line that says:
LoadModule fastcgi_module libexec/mod_fastcgi.so

apache fails to restart.

i went on through the rest of the tutorial, but i can't set up my rails
apps to work right. i set up a directory for my rails app above my
public_html directory, made an alias to it so that you can go to
www.mydomain.com/rails/, changed the dispatch.fcgi, and the .htaccess
file. however when i go to it, i do not yet get the RoR welcome screen.
instead i get 404 erros: The requested URL /testapp/index.html was not
found on this server.

has anyone had experience with apache and ror that could tell me what i
did wrong?
Claus G. (Guest)
> under the line that says:
> LoadModule fastcgi_module libexec/mod_fastcgi.so
>
> apache fails to restart.

First of all you may want to tell us what your environment is, what OS
are you running, which version of apache etc. Next thing you can do is
to find out where your other modules are located. Is mod_fastcgi
located the same place?

regards
Claus
Josh K. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 17:17

> First of all you may want to tell us what your environment is, what OS
> are you running, which version of apache etc. Next thing you can do is
> to find out where your other modules are located. Is mod_fastcgi
> located the same place?
>
> regards
> Claus

i am running RedHat i686, apache 1.34 i think. to be honest i'm not sure
where all of the files are. i'm still pretty new to the command line and
i just went through whatever instructions are provided on the previously
mentioned tutorial.
Claus G. (Guest)
> i am running RedHat i686, apache 1.34 i think. to be honest i'm not sure
> where all of the files are. i'm still pretty new to the command line and
> i just went through whatever instructions are provided on the previously
> mentioned tutorial.

Try an 'apachectl configtest' in a shell.

To see what apache-version is installed you can do a 'rpm -a|grep
apache'.

regards
Claus