Forum: Ruby New release of Rockit?

unknown (Guest)
According to this blog entry:
http://djberg96.livejournal.com/69529.html
there's a new version of Rockit out, but I don't see anything about it
on
Rubyforge or RAA.

Phil
Daniel B. (Guest)
Phil T. wrote:
> According to this blog entry:
> http://djberg96.livejournal.com/69529.html
> there's a new version of Rockit out, but I don't see anything about it on
> Rubyforge or RAA.
>
> Phil

Actually, I think I picked it up off the gem feed, not the RAA feed.
Anyway....

C:\>gem install rockit
Attempting local installation of 'rockit'
Local gem file not found: rockit*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rockit'
Successfully installed rockit-0.7.1

Regards,

Dan
Robert F. (Guest)
On 3/26/06, Daniel B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> C:\>gem install rockit
> Attempting local installation of 'rockit'
> Local gem file not found: rockit*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rockit'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> Successfully installed rockit-0.7.1

Oops, that was a test release of rubyforge automation which was not
meant for public use just yet... ;)

Something is coming fairly soon now though.

Regards,

Robert
Robert F. (Guest)
> Something is coming fairly soon now though.

BTW, I haven't even tested that 0.7.1 gem myself so not sure
everything needed is in there. I was working on my rake script when I
incidentely released that gem automatically up to rubyforge and then
the ball was rolling...

So, beware...

/Robert
Mauricio F. (Guest)
On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:36:49PM +0900, Robert F. wrote:
> incidentely released that gem automatically up to rubyforge and then
> the ball was rolling...

It's missing parse/*, rockit/grammar, etc...
Robert F. (Guest)
On 3/27/06, Mauricio F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > everything needed is in there. I was working on my rake script when I
> > incidentely released that gem automatically up to rubyforge and then
> > the ball was rolling...
>
> It's missing parse/*, rockit/grammar, etc...

Ok, since it is out there now anyway I will pack up a 0.7.2 so that
things at least work. Optimization, error messages and the actual code
generation will have to wait though so this is only for the truly
interested. I guess at this point I'd mostly like feedback on the way
to write grammars in ruby code.

Coming up...

/RF
Robert F. (Guest)
A 0.7.2 with only stuff that now works is now available on

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/9385/rockit-0.7.2.gem

with a README like below. I guess you should also get it by simply
doing "sudo gem install rockit" but rubyforge currently gives me the
faulty 0.7.1 version (I guess it will soon update any "caches").

More to come...

/Robert

---------------------

This is a preview release of the upcoming Rockit 0.8.0. It has
*VERY LITTLE* in the form of documentation and examples so it is mainly
for
*VERY INTERESTED* inidividuals who want to check out what is coming. You
are
also encouraged to give feedback on the "pure-Ruby" way of specing
grammars.

Lots of stuff that will be in 0.8.0 is not in this release:

  * Proper memoization (à la packrat)
  * Optimization
  * Error reporting
  * Java grammar
  * Ruby grammar
  * many of the good stuff from older Rockit versions (tree pattern
matching, fully automated AST generation etc)
  * GPL only on things related to generation, MIT/BSD on everything
needed for
      using the generated parsers etc (as much as possible)

so *BE WARNED*... ;)

If you still want to check this out I suggest you start with the example
in

tests/acceptance/packrat/minibasic

which is a grammar and interpreter for a mini version of Basic.

You might also get some background by checking out the starts of a paper
describing Rockit (in file rockit_paper.pdf).

If you have comments I'd appreciate if you send them to me at:

removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Thank you for your interest!