Forum: Ruby on Rails Your Ruby IDE

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:25
Just a poll here i am looking for a good IDE for rails and wondering
what you guys use?

features i like in an ide

code highlites
auto code complete
file browser

Currently i am using dreamwever but the code highliting is really bad
its also a pain to set up other doucment types such as .yml data config.
Sebastien H. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:31
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

There is only one answer:
Eclipse 3.1 + Radrails (http://www.radrails.org/)

Seb

On 3/25/06, Stewart M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> its also a pain to set up other doucment types such as .yml data config.
>
>
> --
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
> _______________________________________________
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails
>


--
Sebastien H.
Open Source & Web Consultant
EasyBox Technologies
Rue des Terreaux 7
CH-1003 Lausanne
Switzerland
Tel: + 41 21 312 58 66
Fax: + 41 21 312 58 65
Mob: +41 79 541 59 50
Skype: cebastyen
Robert MannI (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:34
(Received via mailing list)
I'm using TextMate.

I'd love to try out VIM.
Robert MannI (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:35
(Received via mailing list)
Oh, you're on windows, sorry.

Yeah check out RadRails.
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:35
Robert MannI wrote:
> I'm using TextMate.
>
> I'd love to try out VIM.

can textmate run on a pc?

whats VIM?
Wiebe C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:47
Stewart M. wrote:
> whats VIM?

I think that when you have to ask that, Vim is not for you...

It's a modal editor, where you can place the editor in command mode,
which causes your keys to carry out commands, like "change word",
"delete 5 lines", etc. But when you're used to GUI editing and moving
the cursor with the arrow keys, instead of with jlki, Vim is not for
you...
Wiebe C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 14:53
Sebastien H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is only one answer:
> Eclipse 3.1 + Radrails (http://www.radrails.org/)
>
> Seb

I tried a Rails plugin for Eclipse a while ago, but it was very
incomplete and buggy, but I can't remember the name. Could that have
been radrails, or is/was there another one out there?

Can you edit rhtml with Radrails properly?

How far does the code completion go? I'm used to Java code completion
and real-time correctness-checking, which worked flawlessy. The code
completion gave you every option that exists (a row of methods for an
object for example), and when the editor didn't mark any code as wrong,
the code was correct. Typing in a varname which didn't exist caused the
editor to mark it. Does radrails go that far?
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 15:14
humm just got rad rails then...

Looks really nice but it seems to assme that your using a server on your
local machine. I have to been using it long but there does not seem to
be a way to put it to remote folders and databases. I am running a fc5
testing box in another room and i would like to run it all off that. I
have mapped my rails apps folder to my r drive so its ok i suppose...
will keep looking in to it

LOL vim does not sound like its for me at all i am all about gui over
here ;)
Peter E. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 15:40
(Received via mailing list)
easy fix:
mount your remote volume with [net use] on windows and [smbmount] on
unix

there should be equivalent stuff on mac-os
Wiebe C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 15:45
Peter E. wrote:
> easy fix:
> mount your remote volume with [net use] on windows and [smbmount] on
> unix

I believe he's already done that. His "r" drive, is probably "r:". And
you can easily map a network share to a drive letter in Windows, without
"net use".

BTW, when on Unix, smbmount is only the correct choice when the network
drive is a smb share. It may very well be NFS.
Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 17:42
Wiebe C. wrote:
> Stewart M. wrote:
>> whats VIM?
>
> I think that when you have to ask that, Vim is not for you...
>
> It's a modal editor, where you can place the editor in command mode,
> which causes your keys to carry out commands, like "change word",
> "delete 5 lines", etc. But when you're used to GUI editing and moving
> the cursor with the arrow keys, instead of with jlki, Vim is not for
> you...

A month ago I had to ask "What's VIM", and then I found out and started
using it, and now it's definitely for me.

These things *can* be learned :)

Jeff
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 00:27
Wiebe C. wrote:
> Peter E. wrote:
>> easy fix:
>> mount your remote volume with [net use] on windows and [smbmount] on
>> unix
>
> I believe he's already done that. His "r" drive, is probably "r:". And
> you can easily map a network share to a drive letter in Windows, without
> "net use".
>
> BTW, when on Unix, smbmount is only the correct choice when the network
> drive is a smb share. It may very well be NFS.

yes thats corrent i have already mapped the dirve.... thanks to samba i
was able to do this. Still not sure how to add a rad rails remote
database to the mix. Will  try and work this out today as it looks like
a really nice ide. Still does not seem to support much in the way of
html editing... well not like dreamweaver does anyway. There are still a
number of features in dreamweaver that make it a cut above the rest.
Hopfully adobe catch on to this rails trend but thats unlikely with CF
hanging around.

A couple of other funny things i noticed with rad rails....

1. keeps saying that i need java ver 1.4.1 and that i have got 1.3.1_2
which is od d as i go to my java console and it says that i have
1.4.1_2.

2. When i click generate skelenton of the app upon starting a new
project it does not seem to work...

i know this is not really a rad rails forum but i just thought i would
add it in here for the sake of the forum... lol any one had any of the
same issues i am having???
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 00:54
I'm using RaidRails on Windows XP with a Samba share
Thanks to Cygwin I can run X Windows sessions (KDE) from my Windows
workstation and then works easily with the breakpointer, script/generate
and rake in several terminal windows.
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 01:26
Christophe G. wrote:
> I'm using RaidRails on Windows XP with a Samba share
> Thanks to Cygwin I can run X Windows sessions (KDE) from my Windows
> workstation and then works easily with the breakpointer, script/generate
> and rake in several terminal windows.

ahh so your running it though a vpn?
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 01:27
Stewart M. wrote:
> Christophe G. wrote:
>> I'm using RaidRails on Windows XP with a Samba share
>> Thanks to Cygwin I can run X Windows sessions (KDE) from my Windows
>> workstation and then works easily with the breakpointer, script/generate
>> and rake in several terminal windows.
>
> ahh so your running it though a vpn?

lol sorry a vnc
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 03:35
Stewart M. wrote:
> Stewart M. wrote:
>> Christophe G. wrote:
>>> I'm using RaidRails on Windows XP with a Samba share
>>> Thanks to Cygwin I can run X Windows sessions (KDE) from my Windows
>>> workstation and then works easily with the breakpointer, script/generate
>>> and rake in several terminal windows.
>>
>> ahh so your running it though a vpn?
>
> lol sorry a vnc

Not at all - I run a full xsession from cygwin. It's really really easy
to setup if you have XFree allready running on your server (2 options to
change on server side, 1 bash line on cygwin windows XP side).
It works like a breeze (eg. cut and paste from Windows XP <--> XWindows
uses the usual keyboard commands)

I've used this solution for years now and never had the need to use vnc
instead - and honestly, I prefer to avoid setting up another
daemon/service (vnc) on the server.

But using vnc vs XFree/cygwin is certainly a matter of taste.
Ben M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 06:56
(Received via mailing list)
Stewart M. wrote:
> yes thats corrent i have already mapped the dirve.... thanks to samba i
> was able to do this. Still not sure how to add a rad rails remote
> database to the mix. Will  try and work this out today as it looks like

You should be able to just specify the host name in database.yml... i.e.
"myhost.com"
instead of "localhost" (without the quotes of course). Make sure the db
accepts TCP
connections too.

> a really nice ide. Still does not seem to support much in the way of
> html editing... well not like dreamweaver does anyway. There are still a
> number of features in dreamweaver that make it a cut above the rest.
> Hopfully adobe catch on to this rails trend but thats unlikely with CF
> hanging around.

Dreamweaver is pure evil. HTML is just as valuable code as Ruby... would
you want some
macrodobey monstrosity creating your Ruby for you? Proper HTML markup
conveys the intent
or meaning of the data it's marking up (i.e. HTML is NOT a presentation
language) so how
could a stupid machine ever get it right? :-)

> A couple of other funny things i noticed with rad rails....
>
> 1. keeps saying that i need java ver 1.4.1 and that i have got 1.3.1_2
> which is od d as i go to my java console and it says that i have
> 1.4.1_2.

Java comes in two forms, the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and the JDK
(Java Development
Kit) and you can have multiple installed (I have four). Your Java
console is probably
telling you that your JRE is 1.4.1_2 but you probably also have a
1.3.1_2 (either JDK or
JRE) somewhere.

Eclipse has it's own configuration for which of the installed JDKs it
uses. RadRails
standalone does not appear to have this, so if you're using that, well
you can still
uninstall the java 1.3. But if you're using Eclipse, go to the
preferences and under "Java
 > Installed JREs" you can tell it about the 1.4 JRE.

> 2. When i click generate skelenton of the app upon starting a new
> project it does not seem to work...

I remember having that problem... I think it was that it hadn't found my
ruby
installation... You can fix that in "preferences > Ruby > Installed
interpreters". Would
be if it gave you an error at least, huh?

> i know this is not really a rad rails forum but i just thought i would
> add it in here for the sake of the forum... lol any one had any of the
> same issues i am having???
>

NP... seems like everyone's pretty flexible here... :-)

By the way, Victor K. has some nice looking tutorials (including
radrails) at:

http://wiki.awebfactory.com.ar/awebfactory/publish...

good luck!

b
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 09:44
Ben M. wrote:
> Stewart M. wrote:
>> yes thats corrent i have already mapped the dirve.... thanks to samba i
>> was able to do this. Still not sure how to add a rad rails remote
>> database to the mix. Will  try and work this out today as it looks like
>
> You should be able to just specify the host name in database.yml... i.e.
> "myhost.com"
> instead of "localhost" (without the quotes of course). Make sure the db
> accepts TCP
> connections too.
>
>> a really nice ide. Still does not seem to support much in the way of
>> html editing... well not like dreamweaver does anyway. There are still a
>> number of features in dreamweaver that make it a cut above the rest.
>> Hopfully adobe catch on to this rails trend but thats unlikely with CF
>> hanging around.
>
> Dreamweaver is pure evil. HTML is just as valuable code as Ruby... would
> you want some
> macrodobey monstrosity creating your Ruby for you? Proper HTML markup
> conveys the intent
> or meaning of the data it's marking up (i.e. HTML is NOT a presentation
> language) so how
> could a stupid machine ever get it right? :-)
>
>> A couple of other funny things i noticed with rad rails....
>>
>> 1. keeps saying that i need java ver 1.4.1 and that i have got 1.3.1_2
>> which is od d as i go to my java console and it says that i have
>> 1.4.1_2.
>
> Java comes in two forms, the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and the JDK
> (Java Development
> Kit) and you can have multiple installed (I have four). Your Java
> console is probably
> telling you that your JRE is 1.4.1_2 but you probably also have a
> 1.3.1_2 (either JDK or
> JRE) somewhere.
>
> Eclipse has it's own configuration for which of the installed JDKs it
> uses. RadRails
> standalone does not appear to have this, so if you're using that, well
> you can still
> uninstall the java 1.3. But if you're using Eclipse, go to the
> preferences and under "Java
>  > Installed JREs" you can tell it about the 1.4 JRE.
>
>> 2. When i click generate skelenton of the app upon starting a new
>> project it does not seem to work...
>
> I remember having that problem... I think it was that it hadn't found my
> ruby
> installation... You can fix that in "preferences > Ruby > Installed
> interpreters". Would
> be if it gave you an error at least, huh?
>
>> i know this is not really a rad rails forum but i just thought i would
>> add it in here for the sake of the forum... lol any one had any of the
>> same issues i am having???
>>
>
> NP... seems like everyone's pretty flexible here... :-)
>
> By the way, Victor K. has some nice looking tutorials (including
> radrails) at:
>
> http://wiki.awebfactory.com.ar/awebfactory/publish...
>
> good luck!
>
> b



Wow Ben you Guru

OK

1. got the database in order wiht the ports and the hostname. so no more
problems there.

2. LOL i love dreamweaver so i will have to disagree i find it really
good to edit pages and it handles html ok. For the most part i type out
all the html code my self using the WYSIWYG editor at times. ITs good
for doing things like CSS as it has text prediction which is really
handy!!!!!

3. Tryed uninstalling all java apps from my machine and reinstalled 1.5
aka java 5 run time. Did not help... i can still run radrails however i
have to use the setup.jar file and not the exe when i want to run the
app.

4.  I think i will just continue using the shell to do this. I have
putty all setup so its just as easy. I checked the way to set it up but
once again it seems to assume you are running the run times form the
local machine which i am not... I suppose i could map the bin folder to
a drive and use it that way but i really cant see it saving me much
time... what do you think about this Ben?

5. Yea this forum is really good everyone is soo helpful of new users.
This is a really good chanage form a lot of other forums you go to on
the internet...

I checked out that other site you posted. Went right in to the book
marks i will be working thoguh some of the tutes this week. I am still
waiting on a rails book in the post before i get right in to it
Ben M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 12:09
(Received via mailing list)
Stewart M. wrote:
> Wow Ben you Guru

Nah... I just have a big mouth. :-)

> OK
>
> 1. got the database in order wiht the ports and the hostname. so no more
> problems there.

Sweet.

> 2. LOL i love dreamweaver so i will have to disagree i find it really
> good to edit pages and it handles html ok. For the most part i type out
> all the html code my self using the WYSIWYG editor at times. ITs good
> for doing things like CSS as it has text prediction which is really
> handy!!!!!

That's cool... I just like to go for the jugular sometimes... you could
probably crank out
a page faster than me... hopefully they at least have a built in
validator by now.

> 3. Tryed uninstalling all java apps from my machine and reinstalled 1.5
> aka java 5 run time. Did not help... i can still run radrails however i
> have to use the setup.jar file and not the exe when i want to run the
> app.

This is really weird. Maybe try a new copy of eclipse with a fresh
install of the radrails
plugin?

> 4.  I think i will just continue using the shell to do this. I have
> putty all setup so its just as easy. I checked the way to set it up but
> once again it seems to assume you are running the run times form the
> local machine which i am not... I suppose i could map the bin folder to
> a drive and use it that way but i really cant see it saving me much
> time... what do you think about this Ben?

Here's another tut that's been passed around a bunch:

http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

However, it's not about using radrails so it might screw you up even
worse. But there are
tips in there about setting up external scripts and stuff.

I've had very few problems with radrails... and I've been impressed with
how quickly a
couple of guys are knocking shit out.
Wiebe C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 14:20
Ben M. wrote:
> Dreamweaver is pure evil. HTML is just as valuable code as Ruby... would
> you want some
> macrodobey monstrosity creating your Ruby for you? Proper HTML markup
> conveys the intent
> or meaning of the data it's marking up (i.e. HTML is NOT a presentation
> language) so how
> could a stupid machine ever get it right? :-)

Does this mean you can edit rhtml with radrails properly? Most IDE's are
not aware of the JSP or rails tags in the HTML, and will mark it as bad.
And, being able to automaticly create open and close tags would be
welcome too.

And most importantly, can it code-complete in rhtml (or .rb files for
that matter)? When you have a view and you're typing "object.", does the
"." trigger a list of methods you can use?
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 14:29
Wiebe C. wrote:
> Ben M. wrote:
>> Dreamweaver is pure evil. HTML is just as valuable code as Ruby... would
>> you want some
>> macrodobey monstrosity creating your Ruby for you? Proper HTML markup
>> conveys the intent
>> or meaning of the data it's marking up (i.e. HTML is NOT a presentation
>> language) so how
>> could a stupid machine ever get it right? :-)
>
> Does this mean you can edit rhtml with radrails properly? Most IDE's are
> not aware of the JSP or rails tags in the HTML, and will mark it as bad.
> And, being able to automaticly create open and close tags would be
> welcome too.
>

More or less, syntax coloring is sometime funky with rhtml files but
RadRails is still under beta - No auto close either, or I missed this
one.

> And most importantly, can it code-complete in rhtml (or .rb files for
> that matter)? When you have a view and you're typing "object.", does the
> "." trigger a list of methods you can use?

Not really, it provides a very minimal code completion (in fact sort of
code completion) for classes names and ruby standard methods.
Stewart M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 15:36
Christophe G. wrote:
> Wiebe C. wrote:
>> Ben M. wrote:
>>> Dreamweaver is pure evil. HTML is just as valuable code as Ruby... would
>>> you want some
>>> macrodobey monstrosity creating your Ruby for you? Proper HTML markup
>>> conveys the intent
>>> or meaning of the data it's marking up (i.e. HTML is NOT a presentation
>>> language) so how
>>> could a stupid machine ever get it right? :-)
>>
>> Does this mean you can edit rhtml with radrails properly? Most IDE's are
>> not aware of the JSP or rails tags in the HTML, and will mark it as bad.
>> And, being able to automaticly create open and close tags would be
>> welcome too.
>>
>
> More or less, syntax coloring is sometime funky with rhtml files but
> RadRails is still under beta - No auto close either, or I missed this
> one.
>
>> And most importantly, can it code-complete in rhtml (or .rb files for
>> that matter)? When you have a view and you're typing "object.", does the
>> "." trigger a list of methods you can use?
>
> Not really, it provides a very minimal code completion (in fact sort of
> code completion) for classes names and ruby standard methods.

Well thats it right there. Thats what everyone needs the intellisense to
pick up what your typing. Auto close would be very handy as well. I have
been looking around a little and i found this...

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel...

This does not bode well for ruby on rails as Intellisense in the ide
makes up a big part of the RAD princapals (that RoR is built on).
However one thing to bare in mind about RoR, its quite new when you look
at j2ee and dot net(leaders in Intellisense). There is still a long way
for RoR and RadRails oo go and if the take up has been as good as it is
so far then we have a lot to look forward too.
Alex Y. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 17:00
(Received via mailing list)
Stewart M. wrote:
>
> This does not bode well for ruby on rails as Intellisense in the ide
> makes up a big part of the RAD princapals (that RoR is built on).
That's really a matter of personal taste.  You *could* make the
counter-argument that if a system's complicated enough to mean that its
users *need* intelligent code completion to get anything done, it's way
too complex and should be simplified.   Me, I use vim with a few handy
shortcuts.  You don't need autocomplete for RAD.
Wiebe C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 17:51
Alex Y. wrote:
> That's really a matter of personal taste.  You *could* make the
> counter-argument that if a system's complicated enough to mean that its
> users *need* intelligent code completion to get anything done, it's way
> too complex and should be simplified.   Me, I use vim with a few handy
> shortcuts.  You don't need autocomplete for RAD.

In my opinion, a listing of available methods on objects is useful even
for the most simple systems. Especially if it also shows what parameters
the method needs. It would reduce the amount of times you have to look
at the Rails API docs, for example.
Dylan S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 21:10
(Received via mailing list)
> A month ago I had to ask "What's VIM", and then I found out and started
> using it, and now it's definitely for me.
>
> These things *can* be learned :)



Bravo !  VIM is the most versatile editor there is.  It will most likely
exist on any *n?x system you ever log into.
I try and open the /help system every once in a while, find a command I
don't use... then play with it until it dawns on me how useful it
actually
is.

I've seen people edit files faster than any other editor could ever
possibly
do with any other IDE (except possibly hardcore emacs users :))
Sky Y. (Guest)
on 2006-03-26 22:39
Dylan S. wrote:
> (except possibly hardcore emacs users :))
maybe like this:
http://www.bloomington.in.us/~brutt/msf-abbrev-demo.gif
:^)
Charley (Guest)
on 2006-03-27 02:45
I've been using PSPad for my rails editing for a while now. It's a bit
of a pain to add rails syntax support, but once setup I find it very
good.
Brian H. (Guest)
on 2006-03-27 07:10
(Received via mailing list)
Back in August I posted a howto on my website that showed how to set up
Eclipse with RDT,  the Web Tools platform and DBEdit to do Rails
development. This is pre-Radrails but I keep updating the site because
there
are still some very important things missing from RadRails that I have
come
to depend on.  The Web Tools project from Eclipse gives you a really
nice
CSS / HTML editor with templates and autocomplete... and with a tiny bit
of
work (and some templates from my site) you can hack the JSP editor to do
RHTML files.

I'm sure that RadRails will eventually render my work useless, but in
the
meantime you could give my setup a loook.

http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html
Bakki K. (Guest)
on 2006-03-27 21:41
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Stewart,

I am using Emacs21 on Debian Sarge and I have been able to get the
following features by adding various mode files (a very short list for
each)
see: http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToUseEm...

ecb mode -        Gives me directory explorer pane(IDE like interface)
                         File manipulation pane(create etc)
                         Methods list pane
Ruby mode-       Syntax Highlighting, code completion etc
CSS mode -       same for CSS
HTML, XML modes
Rails mode -      Code Snippets, Start/Stop WeBrick or Mongrel
SQL mode -      Execute SQL

There are tons more features...and its all free and open source.

Check out http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki
for all sorts of mode files.

THe only caveat is that there is a steep learning curve...I'd say a
couple of weeks of intense work to get proficient. But the payoff is
great. While I am no emacs expert (yet:) I have seen some who start
the day with Emacs and don't ever leave it since you can do pretty
much everything in it.

-bakki

PS: Tangentially -
While studying the elisp mode files i found it very very rewarding to
learn lisp. It even helps to understand Ruby better since Matz used
many Lisp concepts  in Ruby.
Check out:
http://www.paulgraham.com/
See Matz's quote at
http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/179642
and also
"Some may say Ruby is a bad rip-off of Lisp or Smalltalk, and I admit
that. But it is nicer to ordinary people."

- Matz, LL2 (from Paul Grahams site - lisp quotes)
Brez! !. (Guest)
on 2006-03-27 22:54
> Just a poll here i am looking for a good IDE for rails and wondering
> what you guys use?

Active state's komodo  - I had been using it for python [personal
edition is only $30] - big plus is that you can debug your ROR apps with
it..
Jon (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 02:36
brez!  !! wrote:
>
>> Just a poll here i am looking for a good IDE for rails and wondering
>> what you guys use?
>
> Active state's komodo  - I had been using it for python [personal
> edition is only $30] - big plus is that you can debug your ROR apps with
> it..

Komodo has to be the best IDE ever.  i've been using the free trial
version and i would probably sport for the pro version. $300 is quite a
lot, but you can't beat it!
Jason S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 00:46
(Received via mailing list)
I'll second the emacs recommendation. I haven't seen anything else
that does everything I need (tags, svn, textmate-like snippets, css,
sql, etc.). Radrails is OK, but too much of a dog. Eclipse with the
radrails plugin is better than radrails by itself, but again it's
still to much of a dog for me. Also, you can use emacs over an SSH
session.

Regards,
Jason
Jeremy C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 01:06
(Received via mailing list)
Not to start a war but Vim does all that. Both are excellent editors.
I myself prefer Vim, but what I tell people all the time when it
comes to editors is:

Choose an editor with some power behind it then spend some serious
time *actually learning* how to use that editor well. A few weeks/
months down the road you will wonder how you did without it. Too many
people grab an editor and learn simple copy, cut, paste, maybe
indenting blocks of code and possibly ending an HTML tag for them and
leave it at that. Oh, how much they are missing.

My advise? Re-read the above paragraph ;-)

Jeremy C.
http://lifewithchrist.org  <--- undergoing a rewrite into RoR.
Jason S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 02:21
(Received via mailing list)
On 28/03/06 15:51 -0500, Jeremy C. wrote:
> Not to start a war but Vim does all that. Both are excellent editors.
> I myself prefer Vim, but what I tell people all the time when it
> comes to editors is:

I also like to use vim for various things. Are there snippets for vim
to make rails dev easy on the fingers?

Regards,
Jason
Jeremy C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 03:03
(Received via mailing list)
Yes there is,

http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1318

Jeremy C.
http://lifewithchrist.org <--- currently being rewritten in RoR
Rob K. (Guest)
on 2006-03-29 04:30
(Received via mailing list)
If you want to look into VIM with out having to jump in with both feet
right off the bat there is Cream http://cream.sourceforge.net/  Cream
sits on top of VIM making it easier to install and more intutive to
new users.  As you get comfertable you'll find your self droping into
"Expert" mode more and more often, harnessing all of the power of VIM
with out the initial confusion of modal editing.

Rob K.
Shawn K. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 13:28
Robert MannI wrote:
> I'm using TextMate.
> I'd love to try out VIM.

Would anyone use anything *else* than TextMate if on a Mac ? :-) hint
hint, nudge nudge, wink wink.


p.s. Oh my god!.. I just realized how old this thread is! prev-post is
early2006.
Leonardo M. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 14:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Shawn Koppenhoefer
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> Robert MannI wrote:
>> I'm using TextMate.
>> I'd love to try out VIM.
>
> Would anyone use anything *else* than TextMate if on a Mac ? :-) hint
> hint, nudge nudge, wink wink.
Yes, of course, there's a lot of people using VIM on a Mac.

>
>
> p.s. Oh my god!.. I just realized how old this thread is! prev-post is
> early2006.
Nevermind, these questions never get old fashioned. :)

By the way, I'm using VIM on a linux box.

--
Leonardo M..
There's no place like ~
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 14:31
Stewart M. wrote:
> Just a poll here i am looking for a good IDE for rails and wondering
> what you guys use?

Rails does not need or benefit from a real IDE.  I dropped Aptana and
NetBeans and use KomodoEdit for Rails development.  jEdit is also worth
a look.

>
> features i like in an ide
>
> code highlites
> auto code complete
> file browser

I like a project browser and syntax highlighting.  I don't have much use
for code completion: it would be nice to have (and in fact KomodoEdit
does have it) but because of Ruby's dynamic nature, I've yet to see code
completion for Ruby that actually works well.

>
> Currently i am using dreamwever but the code highliting is really bad
> its also a pain to set up other doucment types such as .yml data config.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 14:32
Shawn Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Robert MannI wrote:
>> I'm using TextMate.
>> I'd love to try out VIM.
>
> Would anyone use anything *else* than TextMate if on a Mac ? :-) hint
> hint, nudge nudge, wink wink.

I'm using KomodoEdit on a Mac.  I refuse to spend all that money on a
text editor.

>
>
> p.s. Oh my god!.. I just realized how old this thread is! prev-post is
> early2006.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Shawn K. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 14:49
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>
> Rails does not need or benefit from a real IDE.  I dropped Aptana and
> NetBeans and use KomodoEdit for Rails development.  jEdit is also worth
> a look.

I used Aptana fora while before going the JEdit route for my first (and
so far only) sizeable Rails app. But now that I'm playing more on my Mac
I'm a happy camper with Textmate (and WordWrangler).
I have to say though, that the code-completion of X-code during my
iPhone newbie-dev hours is very agreeable. Once you start trusting WHAT
the completions will be you don't need to watch it happen.  What a
fantastic way to avoid code syntax errors... or at least reduce their
frequency!

S.
Aldric G. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 14:52
Stewart M. wrote:
> Just a poll here i am looking for a good IDE for rails and wondering
> what you guys use?
>
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODc...
Shawn K. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 15:02
P.s. I haven't found a suitable emergency editor for my iPhone (HTML
edit can't resave the src back to the server ;( and 'Code Viewer' can't
open urls or ftp's)(and iOctocat ca't edit and resave back to the
repository ;(
Short of using vnc or a terminal connection, anyone found a decent if
awkward, solution?

... Yeah, I know,.. Buy a portable... soon... soon.
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 15:04
Shawn Koppenhoefer wrote:
> P.s. I haven't found a suitable emergency editor for my iPhone (HTML
> edit can't resave the src back to the server ;( and 'Code Viewer' can't
> open urls or ftp's)(and iOctocat ca't edit and resave back to the
> repository ;(
> Short of using vnc or a terminal connection, anyone found a decent if
> awkward, solution?

Github edit, perhaps?  I've never tried in on my iPhone, but it should
work...

>
> ... Yeah, I know,.. Buy a portable... soon... soon.

:)

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
John Y. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 18:20
(Received via mailing list)
Emacs baby.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS
and
http://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit/
will get you on your way.

On Oct 29, 8:04 am, Marnen Laibow-Koser <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Lukasz B. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 19:07
(Received via mailing list)
For quick hacking sessions or really small projects I use vim with a
bunch of plugins. For every day work I use Netbeans. It's a great IDE
for Ruby/Python/PHP after some configuration effort. I'm working on
linux boxes, however a friend at work uses successfuly Netbeans on his
MacBook.

Łukasz Badura | http://www.badurowie.org
Matthew S. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 19:27
Looks like I'm the only one using Ruby in Steel (Ruby plugin for Visual
Studio).  I love it, but I'm a Windows user primarily and I use Visual
Studio for my work programming anyways.
Rob S. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 20:30
(Received via mailing list)
Łukasz Badura wrote:
> For quick hacking sessions or really small projects I use vim with a
> bunch of plugins. For every day work I use Netbeans. It's a great IDE
> for Ruby/Python/PHP after some configuration effort. I'm working on
> linux boxes, however a friend at work uses successfuly Netbeans on his
> MacBook.

I too use NetBean, but I also do no small amount of Java EE work.  I
prefer Coda to TextMate.  For quick edits vi has been, and always
will be, my friend.
Aldric G. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 20:39
I used Netbeans a fair amount, but I just purchased a license for
Rubymine.. So for me, it's gonna be Rubymine and gVim + irb :-)
Jillian G. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 22:15
(Received via mailing list)
I use Netbeans as well but it's not as good as eclipse which I use for
java.



On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Aldric G. <
E. Litwin (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 23:11
(Received via mailing list)
I have used NetBeans (on Linux) in the past, but I am switching to
Komodo Edit. I was purely using NetBeans as a text editor (no
debugging, no running rake/script tasks, etc.), so I figure I might as
well use a lighter weight editor.

I had tried using Komodo Edit before (prior to version 5.2), but it
had crashed on me occasionally, which I thought was very odd since I
wasn't pushing it particularly hard. So far, version 5.2 seems stable.
Chris Cowan (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 23:12
(Received via mailing list)
VIM is pretty good when you add in the Nerd Tree plugin (NERD_tree.vim).
You
can also get the snippets working similar to TextMate with the
(snippetsEmu.vim). That's typically what I use when I'm not on my home
computer and I need to login to my remote dev box to make some quick
updates
or changes. I've tried to break away from TextMate a few times but I've
been
unsuccessful... They have a stranglehold on me.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Jillian G. 
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>> I used Netbeans a fair amount, but I just purchased a license for
>> Rubymine.. So for me, it's gonna be Rubymine and gVim + irb :-)
>> --
>> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>>
>>
>>
>
> >
>


--
Christopher Cowan

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated
simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity"
-- Charls Mingus, Jazz Bassist
Greg D. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 23:16
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM, John Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Emacs baby.

I agree, there's nothing as powerful as Emacs.  I have yet to find
something it can't do.


--
Greg D.
http://destiney.com/
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-29 23:31
Greg D. wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM, John Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> Emacs baby.
>
> I agree, there's nothing as powerful as Emacs.  I have yet to find
> something it can't do.

Display an attractive GUI?  Or have things changed?

(I like console Emacs, but find Xemacs just about unusable.)

>
>
> --
> Greg D.
> http://destiney.com/

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Rick L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-30 02:30
(Received via mailing list)
for MacOS you should look at: http://aquamacs.org/ and load in:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/emacs-rails

emacs is not a simple learn but you've got to love a an editor that's

1) has been available on every os platform since the early 80's
2) is a historic part of the open software community
3) is fully extensible, written in C, programmable in elisp
4) the programmer's hanzo - tool of choice

On Oct 29, 5:31 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-30 02:39
Rick Lloyd wrote:
> for MacOS you should look at: http://aquamacs.org/

I have.  My recollection is that it's attractive and usable, but didn't
seem like any improvement over the console version.  It was long enough
ago that I don't remember exactly what my issues were.

>  and load in:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/emacs-rails
>
> emacs is not a simple learn but you've got to love a an editor that's
>
> 1) has been available on every os platform since the early 80's
> 2) is a historic part of the open software community
> 3) is fully extensible, written in C, programmable in elisp
> 4) the programmer's hanzo - tool of choice

I agree -- emacs is absolutely my console editor of choice.  But I don't
like using console editors when a GUI editor is available.

>
> On Oct 29, 5:31�pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Billee D. (Guest)
on 2009-10-30 03:33
(Received via mailing list)
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I really like Coda for all my
coding purposes. :-)

I used TextMate and a few others over the years -- Eclipse, Aptana,
VIM...well I still use VIM and sometimes Nano for a quick edit -- but
I just like how Coda feels. Plus, if you dial in your local settings
for your Coda project you get the built-in preview right in the IDE
like Eclipse. I hear Espresso is pretty decent too, but most Rails
folks I know use TextMate probably due to the multitude of snips and
bundles for Rails. I still pop into TextMate occasionally, but I'm
hooked on Coda now. :-)

On Oct 29, 7:28 am, Shawn Koppenhoefer <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-10-30 07:48
Billee D. wrote:
> I'll probably get flamed for this, but I really like Coda for all my
> coding purposes. :-)

You certainly won't get flamed by me.  I've used Coda very little
indeed, but what I've seen, I like.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Paolo M. (Guest)
on 2009-10-30 11:06
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> I agree -- emacs is absolutely my console editor of choice.  But I don't
> like using console editors when a GUI editor is available.

emacs is a GUI editor nowadays. The Linux GTK version based on emacs 23
is great. You can do everything with the mouse and menus, even if
usually using the command keys is faster because you don't have to move
the hands away from where they are most of the time (the keyboard) but
you probably know that.

An example:
http://www.skybert.nu/cgi-bin/viewpage.py.cgi?comp...

I've been using both netbeans 6.5 and emacs in the last year. I'm
mandated to use netbeans for a customer's Java project and I use emacs
for everything else. I think that emacs just beats netbeans feature by
feature. However I concede two things:

1) It still feels like a console application with a GUI layer added to
it.

2) It requires a good deal of customization to get it up to par with
modern IDEs from the out-of-the-box version (adding modes, installing
the right .el files, writing some elisp, etc). That's why I use it only
on my machine. I use vi over ssh connections to servers and whatever I
find on other desktops, from notepad to kate or Textmate.

Paolo
saideep a.v.s (Guest)
on 2009-10-31 16:13
(Received via mailing list)
If not Text Mate.. then EMACS


Best Wishes,
Saideep Annadatha


On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Marnen Laibow-Koser <
Greg D. (Guest)
on 2009-10-31 17:27
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I agree, there's nothing as powerful as Emacs.  I have yet to find
>> something it can't do.
>
> Display an attractive GUI?  Or have things changed?

Looks really nice to me:

http://static.destiney.com/emacs_screen_shot.jpg


--
Greg D.
http://destiney.com/
Saravanan K. (Guest)
on 2009-11-01 16:27
Why dont you go for SciTE editor. It is simple and powerful
Leonardo M. (Guest)
on 2009-11-01 17:04
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Saravanan K.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>
> Why dont you go for SciTE editor. It is simple and powerful
...becase my editor is simple and powerful and I'm happy with it?


--
Leonardo M..
There's no place like ~
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-11-01 18:14
Greg D. wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
> <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>> I agree, there's nothing as powerful as Emacs. �I have yet to find
>>> something it can't do.
>>
>> Display an attractive GUI? �Or have things changed?
>
> Looks really nice to me:
>
> http://static.destiney.com/emacs_screen_shot.jpg
>
>
> --

Impressive.  Is that xemacs + Cygwin, or what?

> Greg D.
> http://destiney.com/


Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Greg D. (Guest)
on 2009-11-01 18:39
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Impressive.  Is that xemacs + Cygwin, or what?

That's plain old Emacs 23.1 on Windows 7.

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/


--
Greg D.
http://destiney.com/
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-11-01 19:03
Greg D. wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
> <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Impressive. �Is that xemacs + Cygwin, or what?
>
> That's plain old Emacs 23.1 on Windows 7.
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows

Interesting.  The last time I ran Emacs in a graphical environment, it
looked nowhere near that good -- in fact, I considered it pretty much an
unusable eyesore.  I'll have to investigate further, or perhaps give
Aquamacs another try.

>
>
> --
> Greg D.
> http://destiney.com/

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Sandip R. (Guest)
on 2009-11-02 13:00
(Received via mailing list)
*Scite* is good for html and erb coding.

*Vi* with rails.vim configuration is always best for any development


--
Sandip
---
www.funonrails.com
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.