Forum: Ruby on Rails RAILS_ROOT Help Required!

Rizwan R. (Guest)

I am new over here and also a newbie for Ruby on Rails. I am working on
a simple webapp for my band work. I have created a upload
controller/model and database which allows to save my files in the
directory at /public/dump/. Uploading works but I can't retrieve it.

I have tried several ways. The model uses DUMP_PATH = RAILS_ROOT +
"/public/dump" to save the file. But when I use it in view as:

<%= link_to upload.filename, :action => RAILS_ROOT + "/public/dump/" +
upload.filename %>

It doesn't retrieve. I can't access to the file even by using absolute
paths. The HTML output is:

<a
href="/upload/%2FUsers%2Frizwanreza%2Frails_projects%2Fbandwork%2Fpublic%2F..%2Fconfig%2F..%2Fpublic%2Fdump%2FDM100044.WMA">DM100044.WMA</a>

I don't what's wrong. As I said, the absolute paths don't work as well.

Thanks in advance. I have made the above possible by following this:
http://www.albert.bagasie.com/RailsTips/FileUpload

Regards,

Rizwan R.
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 11:14
Because when you want an hyperlink to the file you don't have to use
RAILS_ROOT : this will produce an absolute, filesystem related pathname.
What you want is a relative path for public access which should be
"/public/dump/" + upload.filename
Rizwan R. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 12:10
Christophe G. wrote:
> Because when you want an hyperlink to the file you don't have to use
> RAILS_ROOT : this will produce an absolute, filesystem related pathname.
> What you want is a relative path for public access which should be
> "/public/dump/" + upload.filename

Thanks for the reply. This worked: <a href="/dump/<%= upload.filename
%>"><%= upload.filename %></a>

Thank you very much.

Rizwan
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-25 12:21
Rizwan R. wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. This worked: <a href="/dump/<%= upload.filename
> %>"><%= upload.filename %></a>

You're welcome, and of course the right setting is without /public -
Forgive me I'm awakening ;-)