Forum: Ruby using unit test

rtilley (Guest)
What is the most prevalent way of using unit testing in Ruby? Do I
require 'test/unit' and add test methods to production scripts and then
comment the testing portions out when not testing? Or, should I develop
a 'testing' version of the scripts identical to the production versions?

Thanks for any advice. I've got the concept down... just thinking about
implementation and actively using tests.

Brad
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 3/23/06, rtilley <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> What is the most prevalent way of using unit testing in Ruby? Do I
> require 'test/unit' and add test methods to production scripts and then
> comment the testing portions out when not testing? Or, should I develop
> a 'testing' version of the scripts identical to the production versions?
>
> Thanks for any advice. I've got the concept down... just thinking about
> implementation and actively using tests.

I generally put my tests in a separate tests directory from my code.
Then I have a 'run_tests.rb' file that runs all the tests.  Here's the
entirety of run_tests.rb:

        Dir["tests/*"].each { |f| require f }

Or, you could somehow use Rake to run the tests, like Rails does.

Joe
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 23, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Joe Van D. wrote:

>> about
>> implementation and actively using tests.
>
> I generally put my tests in a separate tests directory from my code.
> Then I have a 'run_tests.rb' file that runs all the tests.  Here's the
> entirety of run_tests.rb:
>
>         Dir["tests/*"].each { |f| require f }
>
> Or, you could somehow use Rake to run the tests, like Rails does.

Even easier:

$ ls
test/
$ ls test
test_something.rb
$ testrb test
Loaded suite test
Started
.
Finished in 0.012917 seconds.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
Timothy H. (Guest)
rtilley wrote:
> What is the most prevalent way of using unit testing in Ruby? Do I
> require 'test/unit' and add test methods to production scripts and then
> comment the testing portions out when not testing? Or, should I develop
> a 'testing' version of the scripts identical to the production versions?
>
> Thanks for any advice. I've got the concept down... just thinking about
> implementation and actively using tests.
>
> Brad

Put the tests in a separate directory alongside the code. Chapter 12 of
the Pickaxe includes some "best practices" for unit testing Ruby with
Test::Unit.
Erik H. (Guest)
On 2006-03-23 17:38:03 -0800, Tim H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
said:

> Put the tests in a separate directory alongside the code. Chapter 12 of
> the Pickaxe includes some "best practices" for unit testing Ruby with
> Test::Unit.

I have a patch which fixes the test functionality in Minero A.'s
setup.rb, which lets you create a test/ directory and run:

ruby setup.rb test

and it will execute all the tests in the test/ directory.

Please email privately if you want the patch (I've already submitted it
and recieved no response).