Forum: Ruby What is a stable way to use postgres with Ruby?

unknown (Guest)
>From the web, I gather the "postgres ruby extension" and "postgres pure
ruby" are two different ways to use SQL from ruby via postgres.   Are
the two methods about the same with respect to their "maturity" and
stability?

On the postgres ruby extension page:
http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/

Are the "snapshot" versions are meant to be beta versions or are they
stable? ( Is the last stable release really from 2003 ?)

And, by the way, what is a *.gem file?
unknown (Guest)

> And, by the way, what is a *.gem file?

>From the OCS Solutions website:
"What is a Ruby Gem?
A Ruby gem is a plugin that adds functionality to the Ruby programming
lanaguage. We always keep up to date with the latest and most popular
Ruby gems."

This leaves the questions:
Does the
http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-pos...
compile to produce a gem?
Is the file
http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-pos...
different that the one the .tar.gz file would compile to?
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 23, 2006, at 2:08 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

>> Are the "snapshot" versions are meant to be beta versions or are they
>> stable? ( Is the last stable release really from 2003 ?)
>>
>> And, by the way, what is a *.gem file?
>
>> From the OCS Solutions website:
> "What is a Ruby Gem?
> A Ruby gem is a plugin that adds functionality to the Ruby programming
> lanaguage. We always keep up to date with the latest and most popular
> Ruby gems."

Its a way of distributing ruby libraries and applications similar to
Perl's CPAN or FreeBSD packages or ...

> This leaves the questions:
> Does the
> http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-
> postgres-20051221.tar.gz
> compile to produce a gem?

Gems can contain binaries but typically don't.

> Is the file
> http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-
> postgres-0.7.1.2005.12.21.gem
> different that the one the .tar.gz file would compile to?

The gem is capable of doing all the install work for you with the
single command:

sudo gem install ruby-postgres-0.7.1.2005.12.21.gem

Note that you may have to specify the paths to your postgres library
and include files, but you'd have to do that with the tar.gz also.

gem install is the only important difference between the two.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com