Forum: Ruby on Rails Lighttpd Configuration Problems

Steve W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-23 05:37
Hey Folks!

I've got a Fedora Core 4 machine that I'm installing Ruby on Rails on,
following this set of instructions:

http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/howto/fc4rails/

Everything has gone well up until I get to the part about configuring
lighttpd to use virtual hosts.  Here's the chunk of code I've got in my
config file that appears to be the culprit.  When I remove it, the
server starts right up - when I leave it in, I get "lighttpd dead but
subsys locked":

# simple virtual hosting
simple-vhost.server-root = "/home/swarren/"
simple-vhost.default-host = "test"
simple-vhost.document-root = "public"

# Start of test vhost
$HTTP["host"] == "test" {
  server.document-root = "/home/swarren/test/public/"
  accesslog.filename = "/home/swarren/test/log/access.log"
  server.indexfiles = ( "dispatch.fcgi", "index.html" )
  server.error-handler-404 = "/dispatch.fcgi"

  # rails stuff
  #### fastcgi module
  fastcgi.server = (
    ".fcgi" => (
      "test" => (
        "socket" => "/tmp/test1.socket",
        "bin-path" => "/home/swarren/test/public/dispatch.fcgi",
        "min-procs" => 1,
        "max_procs" => 2
      )
    )
  )
}
# End of test vhost

Does anything jump out as being obviously wrong here?  the test, public
and log folders are all owned by user swarren, and fully opened to
read/write/execute.

Steve Warren
Vincent G. (Guest)
I'm couldnt get llighttpd with fastcgi up with those instructions
neither.
I'm running Archlinux though.
Neil D. (Guest)
steve warren wrote:
> server starts right up - when I leave it in, I get "lighttpd dead but
>   server.document-root = "/home/swarren/test/public/"
>         "bin-path" => "/home/swarren/test/public/dispatch.fcgi",
> and log folders are all owned by user swarren, and fully opened to
> read/write/execute.

> Steve Warren

Nothing looks wrong there, but to get lighttpd & fastcgi working on my
FC4 install, I needed to recompile fastcgi from source (if I remember
correctly).

Regards Neil.