Forum: Ruby on Rails Which is more robust/bug-free? Rails 1.0 or 1.1-RC1?

Rails D. (Guest)
on 2006-03-23 05:21
I know that Rails 1.1-RC1 has many new features but it also seems to fix
numerous bugs found in Rails 1.1.

So for new projects--say a small (<=10 product) ecommerce website set to
launch "any day now", should we use Rails 1.0 or 1.1-RC1?

Which is more bug-free?  I heard 1.1-RC1 gets rid of the 'white screen
of death' but I'm wondering if any new bugs introduced would be worse.

System:
Debian 3.1
Apache 2.0.54 + debian_patches
mod_fcgid-1.08 + custom_patches
PostgreSQL 7.4.x
Ruby-1.8.2 + debian_patches
Rails-1.0 or 1.1-RC1...
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 3/22/06, Rails D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Debian 3.1
> Apache 2.0.54 + debian_patches
> mod_fcgid-1.08 + custom_patches
> PostgreSQL 7.4.x
> Ruby-1.8.2 + debian_patches
> Rails-1.0 or 1.1-RC1...

I'd use 1.0, unless you need 1.1 features.

Not sure what the white screen of death is though.
Peter E. (Guest)
I would expect this to happen:

- the 1.0 - features are eventually more robust in 1.1
- the 1.1 - features introduce a new, potential level of instability

So if you install 1.1 but _only_ use the 1.0 features there's
some hope (however, no guarantee) the platform is more reliable.
Dee Z. (Guest)
Peter E. wrote:
>> I'd use 1.0, unless you need 1.1 features.

Quality comes from hard work, not version number roundedness.