Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: a very simple .vimrc example to use with my gmail accoun

Dawn T. (Guest)
Hi guys,
is there a very very simple .vimrc example to use with my gmail
account? i couldn't find it from uncle google. Please help, my
thunderbird is becoming so slow with hundreds of thousands of email..
i don't want to use it anymore, i want to use mutt. i'm using Mac OS X
10.4.5 (Tiger) and mutt (DarwinPort)
Thank you very much for your help and sorry for this OT.

ps. thanks for your login suggestion Ezra.. worked like a charm.

cheers,
Dawn Taylor
dawntayl (at) gmail (dot) com
Ben B. (Guest)
> Attached is my .vimrc.  It's a little more complex but it certainly
> gets the job done.  Some of the options up top can probably be removed,
> but I'm not 100% sure what they all do (most of this config came from a
> friend and was years ago).
>
> If you don't have it already, install par (I think you can get it from
> DarwinPorts), then with my config you can hit ^^ and it'll reformat
> whichever paragraph is under the cursor.  Very handy!  I used it just
> now :)

thanks, now, is there a very, very simple way to "suck" my
(removed_email_address@domain.invalid) gmail pop3 into my mutt? is it the
.muttrc only
or do i have to configure anything else? my i wonder why there's no
friendly video to use mutt for mac users...
TIA.

--
Dawn Taylor
dawntayl (at) gmail (dot) com
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006, Dawn Taylor wrote:
> thanks, now, is there a very, very simple way to "suck" my
> (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) gmail pop3 into my mutt? is it the .muttrc only
> or do i have to configure anything else? my i wonder why there's no
> friendly video to use mutt for mac users...
> TIA.

... mutt's not really a simple, friendly thing :)

I've never used mutt with pop3.  I use getmail to fetch my IMAP mail
into local Maildir, where I read it with mutt.

I have no idea what the state of POP3 support in mutt is.  getmail
supports it :)  Or fetchmail or whatever.

Why mutt and not Mail.app, for instance?  I'm just curious, I'm a pure
mutt user myself.

Ben
Ben B. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006, Dawn Taylor wrote:
> thanks, now, is there a very, very simple way to "suck" my
> (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) gmail pop3 into my mutt? is it the .muttrc only
> or do i have to configure anything else? my i wonder why there's no
> friendly video to use mutt for mac users...
> TIA.

mutt.org has instructions on how to use pop/imap/whatever.

Ben
Dawn T. (Guest)
On 3/24/06, Ben B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> ... mutt's not really a simple, friendly thing :)
>
> I've never used mutt with pop3.  I use getmail to fetch my IMAP mail
> into local Maildir, where I read it with mutt.
>
> I have no idea what the state of POP3 support in mutt is.  getmail
> supports it :)  Or fetchmail or whatever.
>
> Why mutt and not Mail.app, for instance?  I'm just curious, I'm a pure
> mutt user myself.

yeah i found mutt is problematic.. i found this:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=gmail+wit...

(feeling desperate) i can't use my mutt from DarwinPort as it has no
support for POP and SSL. must compile and blah blah (complicated)..

i've tried Outlook, Kmail, evolution, apple mail and i used
thunderbird for my whole life, they all suck. heavy. i got thousands
of email everyday (groups including this Rails maillist) and i just
don't feel like using them anymore... i need a lightweight and
powerful mail client such as Mutt. You know, like ViM (in editor
world), i still love it eventhough i code Rails with TextMate... less
menu, simple UI, lightweight but powerful (like Vim) and i think Mutt
is a good companion with someone who's used to use ViM.

How I wish there's a good video to setup Mutt (and others:
fetchmail,etc) to retrieve and send with my gmail account, so i can
throw away this thunderbird. Just like in Rails world, so i can throw
away php.

--
Dawn Taylor
dawntayl (at) gmail (dot) com
> yeah i found mutt is problematic.. i found this:
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=gmail+wit...
>
> (feeling desperate) i can't use my mutt from DarwinPort as it has no
> support for POP and SSL. must compile and blah blah (complicated)..

I think you'll find that every part of mutt is complicated :)

> i've tried Outlook, Kmail, evolution, apple mail and i used
> thunderbird for my whole life, they all suck. heavy. i got thousands
> of email everyday (groups including this Rails maillist) and i just
> don't feel like using them anymore... i need a lightweight and
> powerful mail client such as Mutt. You know, like ViM (in editor
> world), i still love it eventhough i code Rails with TextMate... less
> menu, simple UI, lightweight but powerful (like Vim) and i think Mutt
> is a good companion with someone who's used to use ViM.

I think what you need is pine, not mutt.  mutt is great and I use it all
the time, but it's complex.  Pine integrates filters and a bunch of
other stuff so you don't have to mess around too much.  mutt requires a
full-blown toolchain.

If you insist on sticking with mut, it sounds to me that your best bet
is to use fetchmail or getmail or something similar to download your
mail from gmail to a Maildir or mbox and use mutt to read that.

Mutt is intended to do only one thing: read mail.  Other features have
been added out of necessity over time, but it's always better to used
specialized tools.  For instance, mutt doesn't have delivery functions.
You need to have an smtp server running to send mail.

My complete mail solution is this: my host runs some IMAP server, from
which I fetch with getmail.  Getmail passes messages off to procmail,
which in turn delivers into my Maildir.  Then I read them with mutt.
When I reply, it's injected into my local qmail queue, which in turns
forwards to my ISP's smtp server.

When I used pine, it handled everything.

> How I wish there's a good video to setup Mutt (and others:
> fetchmail,etc) to retrieve and send with my gmail account, so i can
> throw away this thunderbird. Just like in Rails world, so i can throw
> away php.

Videos don't make any sense when all you're doing is typing in a
terminal window ;)  There are tons of mutt config examples out there.
Google for "mutt gmail" and you'll find a bunch of walkthroughs on using
fetchmail/mutt with gmail.

Good luck,
Ben