Forum: Ruby Best way to slurp a file into a string?

Wes G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 22:58
All,

I would like to capture the entire contents of a file in to a string (a
la Perl) - is this the best way to do it?

File.open(@document.path, r) do |f|
  @lines = f.readlines
  html = @lines.join
end

so that the html variable has all of the contents of f.

Is there a better/easier way?

Thanks,
Wes
Daniel B. (Guest)
Wes G. wrote:
> so that the html variable has all of the contents of f.
>
> Is there a better/easier way?
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

IO.read(@document.path)

Regards,

Dan
Wes G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 23:05
Isn't it better to do the block thing so that the file gets closed,
etc.?

Daniel B. wrote:
> Wes G. wrote:
>> so that the html variable has all of the contents of f.
>>
>> Is there a better/easier way?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wes
>>

> IO.read(@document.path)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
Wes G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 23:09
I see that IO.read takes care of that.

Sorry for the dumb question.

I knew that this would be as easy (or easier) than in Perl!!!

Wes

Wes G. wrote:
> Isn't it better to do the block thing so that the file gets closed,
> etc.?
>
> Daniel B. wrote:
>> Wes G. wrote:
>>> so that the html variable has all of the contents of f.
>>>
>>> Is there a better/easier way?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Wes
>>>

>> IO.read(@document.path)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dan
Daniel B. (Guest)
Wes G. wrote:
> Isn't it better to do the block thing so that the file gets closed,
> etc.?

Nope.  No need to worry about that with IO.read.  It's not returning an
open
handle, just a string.

Regards,

Dan
unknown (Guest)
Personally File.read makes more sense to me than IO.read... But i've
used both.
Robert R. (Guest)
Hello,

how can you make a FXLists' frame sunken?
It inherits from FXWindow which has a flag named FRAME_SUNKEN.
But in FXList it has no effect.
I even made a sunken container and put the list in, but that looks
horrible!

I appreciate your help.

PS: this I tried:

@leftlist       = FXList.new(@secondhframe, nil, 0, LIST_NORMAL |
FRAME_SUNKEN | LAYOUT_FILL_X | LAYOUT_FILL_Y)

@leftlist       = FXList.new(@secondhframe, nil, 0, FRAME_SUNKEN |
LAYOUT_FILL_X | LAYOUT_FILL_Y)

@leftlist       = FXList.new(@secondhframe, nil, 0, FRAME_SUNKEN)
Lyle J. (Guest)
On 3/23/06, Robert R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> how can you make a FXLists' frame sunken?
> It inherits from FXWindow which has a flag named FRAME_SUNKEN.
> But in FXList it has no effect.
> I even made a sunken container and put the list in, but that looks horrible!

Like Yura said, you need to put FXList inside some other container
that is derived from FXFrame. And also, per Yura's code, be sure to
specify zero padding around all four sides of the frame. If you use
the default padding (which IIRC is two pixels on each side) it
probably won't look too nice.