Forum: Ruby Re: Ruby history

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Berger, Daniel (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 22:52
(Received via mailing list)
> language and
> for this report, but also to learn, understand, and advance
> my knowledge
> of computing in general.  Any new languages I learn helps me become a
> better programmer.  Please e-mail me at removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>
> Thanks in advance for any helpful and/or useful information,
> Craig Robert Schweitzer University of Central Florida

You may want to email Matz directly to request that information.  I
suspect it exists, but that much of the earlier stuff is in Japanese
only.

Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'.  There's also no 'runtime
environment', though if you mean a virtual machine, one is coming for
Ruby 2.0 (YARV).

Regards,

Dan
David I. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 23:00
(Received via mailing list)
>Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'
>
>Dan

I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable (similar,
but
better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that went
by a
while back?
Daniel B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 23:07
(Received via mailing list)
David I. wrote:
>>Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'
>>
>>Dan
>
>
> I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable (similar, but
> better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that went by a
> while back?

I believe you're thinking of either exerb or rubyscriptexe, which only
work for
Windows (or Linux).  They aren't 'compilers' per se.

Regards,

Dan
Timothy B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 23:13
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 22, 2006, at 1:00 PM, David I. wrote:

>> Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'
>>
>> Dan
>
> I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable
> (similar, but
> better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that
> went by a
> while back?
>

I remember finding a way to package a Ruby program in an executable,
but it wasn't a compiler, it just packed the Ruby interpreter along
with the Ruby source into the .exe.

Tim
Craig S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 23:20
Thank you very much for your help...do you know how to contact Matz
directly?  Do you know his e-mail or any other way of contacting him?

Thanks again,
Craig

Berger, Daniel wrote:
>> language and
>> for this report, but also to learn, understand, and advance
>> my knowledge
>> of computing in general.  Any new languages I learn helps me become a
>> better programmer.  Please e-mail me at removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any helpful and/or useful information,
>> Craig Robert Schweitzer University of Central Florida
>
> You may want to email Matz directly to request that information.  I
> suspect it exists, but that much of the earlier stuff is in Japanese
> only.
>
> Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'.  There's also no 'runtime
> environment', though if you mean a virtual machine, one is coming for
> Ruby 2.0 (YARV).
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
Bill G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-23 00:05
(Received via mailing list)
On 3/22/06, Craig S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help...do you know how to contact Matz
> directly?  Do you know his e-mail or any other way of contacting him?

Well, he reads this list, so there's a fair chance he'll see this
post.  If you don't want to wait, give him a shot here:
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Stephen W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-23 00:09
(Received via mailing list)
Bill G. wrote:
> Well, he reads this list, so there's a fair chance he'll see this
> post.  If you don't want to wait, give him a shot here:
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

And while you're waiting to hear from Matz, check this out, if you
haven't already:

     http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/section/show/1

--Steve
Craig S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-23 19:15
Stephen W. wrote:
> Bill G. wrote:
>> Well, he reads this list, so there's a fair chance he'll see this
>> post.  If you don't want to wait, give him a shot here:
>> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>
> And while you're waiting to hear from Matz, check this out, if you
> haven't already:
>
>      http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/section/show/1
>
> --Steve

Thank you all very much.  I might ask a question about how to write an
certain example program in a little while.  Is that okay on this forum,
or is there a better place for me to ask for help?

Craig S.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.