Forum: Ruby A DMG for Macosx Tiger.

Asset (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 18:23
I want to learn programming from the beginning and i choosen to start
with Ruby.
I tried  several times to do what's written here
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...
but it doesn't work.

when i do this mate ~/.bash_login i get an error even after installing
textmate and write textmate ~/.bash_login and things tried many things a
copple of hours.

So i searched with google for a working dmg i get a litle bit angry too
see there is a exe for windows but for mac is nothing. I searced and
searced but found no DMG. Is there somebody they know were i can find a
DMG for OSX or must i buy a windows PC.
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 22, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Asset wrote:

> copple of hours.
TextMate does not install the mate command, until you ask it to.  Try
this...

1.  Launch TextMate
2.  Choose Terminal Usage... from the Help menu
3.  Push the Create Link button

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II
Asset (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 19:02
That works i now did all the hings below.

But now it seems there is nothing installed. were can i start Ruby i
cant't find anything
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 22, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Asset wrote:

> That works i now did all the hings below.
>
> But now it seems there is nothing installed. were can i start Ruby i
> cant't find anything

You're leaving the land of your Mac GUI my friend.  ;)  Try opening
the Terminal application and typing:

   ruby -v

She's there and listening...  ;)

James Edward G. II
Asset (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 19:24
Thanks

ruby -v gives [powerpc-darwin8.0] i think it works now.

I read somewhere too use a teksteditor so i can try further now. Thanks
Benjohn B. (Guest)
On 22 Mar 2006, at 17:24, Asset wrote:

> Thanks
>
> ruby -v gives [powerpc-darwin8.0] i think it works now.
>
> I read somewhere too use a teksteditor so i can try further now.
> Thanks

If you're starting from the beginning, you'd probably do really well
to use the interactive ruby shell. You can type commands in to it
directly and see what they do, so it's really good for learning; it
saves you needing to write programs and try them out.

You can run the shell by going to the command line and typing irb.
There are a lot of simple Ruby tutorials about on the web. Here's one:

	http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-3.html

You'll be able to try out the ideas in the using irb.

HTH, Cheers,
	Benjohn