Forum: Ruby Noob question about layout in FXRuby

Arie van Wingerden (Guest)
Hi all,

I am new to Ruby as well as FXRuby.
When I tried to dig in, I wrote the next small program (which I derived
from
the FXRuby user's guide).
#====================================================================
require 'fox14'
include Fox
theApp = FXApp.new
theMainWindow = FXMainWindow.new(theApp,
"Hello",nil,nil,DECOR_ALL,300,300,300,300)
inField = FXTextField.new(theMainWindow,40,nil,0,TEXTFIELD_NORMAL,40,40)
outField =
FXTextField.new(theMainWindow,40,nil,0,TEXTFIELD_NORMAL,40,80)
theButton = FXButton.new(theMainWindow, "Hello,
World!",nil,nil,0,BUTTON_NORMAL,40,60)
theButton.tipText = "Push Me!"
theButton.connect(SEL_COMMAND) do
  outField.text = inField.text
end
FXToolTip.new(theApp)
theApp.create
theMainWindow.show
theApp.run
#====================================================================
My first problem is:
    I use a X and Y coordinate for the 2 textfields and the button, but
they
seem to be ignored. Why?

Second problem:
    the second parameter for FXTextField.new seems to determine the
width of
the field; however, there is also a separate width parameter,
    which doesn't seem to work.What is the difference and how should I
use
them?

Third (question):
    the FXRuby user's guide does some introductory stuff, but then
leaves
all the rest to the programmer. Is there a better, more consistent
introductory document available?

   Arie van Wingerden

Doneer gratis op / donate free at http://www.voedselhulp.nl &
http://www.freedonation.com
Kijk op / look at http://www.dorcas.nl & http://www.dorcas.net
Meinrad R. (Guest)
On 3/22/06, Arie van Wingerden <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> "Hello",nil,nil,DECOR_ALL,300,300,300,300)
> theMainWindow.show
> theApp.run
> #====================================================================
> My first problem is:
>     I use a X and Y coordinate for the 2 textfields and the button, but they
> seem to be ignored. Why?
its overridden by your layout hints. use LAYOUT_FIX_X|LAYOUT_FIX_Y if
you want to position widgets explicitly

> Second problem:
>     the second parameter for FXTextField.new seems to determine the width of
> the field; however, there is also a separate width parameter,
>     which doesn't seem to work.What is the difference and how should I use
> them?

the "numColumns" attribute of textfield overwrites the "width". same
here. use LAYOUT_FIX_WIDTH to make width effective instead of
numColumns.

> Third (question):
>     the FXRuby user's guide does some introductory stuff, but then leaves
> all the rest to the programmer. Is there a better, more consistent
> introductory document available?
not yet. what you would want to read is what Mike Parr is currently
writing. a very detailed introduction to foxGUIb and fxruby. however
it is not finished yet. in the meanwhile you could download foxGUIb
(or even better check it's latest version out of CVS).
foxGUIb let's you play around with most of the parameters of most
common widgets and layout containers. it is a good start for learning
fxruby. check it out at: http://rubyforge.org/fox-tool

-- henon
Meinrad R. (Guest)
Arie van Wingerden (Guest)