Forum: Ruby on Rails Controller instance variables falling in and out of scope

Seth R. (Guest)
Very bizarre behavior has cropped up in a few spots.

# the action for viewing a blog post
def posts
  @post = BlogPost.find_by_slug(params[:id], :include => :commentary)
  # a breakpoint here shows @post and @post.commentary with appropriate
data
  redirect_to :action => 'archive' unless @post
end

# posts.rhtml
<%= @post.inspect %> => nil
<%= render :partial => 'post', :object => @post %> => renders with
correct data
<%= @post.comments %> => NoMethodError
<%= render_tree_of( @post.comments, ... ) %> => generates no errors,
but within the partial reports @post.comments as nil

WinXP
Ruby 1.8.2
Edge Rails (behavior has existed over several iterations now)

I've not run into anybody else with this problem, and have not had
much luck with IRC and my own debugging efforts. Any clues?

--
Seth Thomas R.
http://sethrasmussen.com/

--