Forum: Ruby on Rails Several 'app' directories ?

Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-21 13:57
Hello, I'm new to ROR and my first wonder is to understand how to
organize my application "per module"...

Imagine I want to build a web site including :
- the web site by itself
- a forum
- a wiki
- a shop

I would like to avoid putting all the controllers, views and models in
the same app directories, polluting the subdirs with prefixed files like
wiki_*, shop_*, forum_* -

All the modules must share the same resources on the app_root directory
(components, config, db, doc, and the like)

In fact, what I want to do is
http://myapp.com/module/controller/action
and not only
http://myapp.com/controller/action

Which would be simply related to the subdirs
/app_root/app/module/controller
/app_root/app/module/views
/app_root/app/module/models
/app_root/app/module/helpers

Is it just a matter of playing with routes.rb ?

Could someone show me how to do ?

Thank you

Note : I allways asked these question on another ror forum and tought at
first that I needed was see every module as a component but I think this
is not the right solution. In the above example, the components would be
more 'low level' (eg. authentification component)...
James A. (Guest)
This is exactly what Rails Engines lets you do:

  http://rails-engines.org

- james

On 3/21/06, Christophe C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> the same app directories, polluting the subdirs with prefixed files like
> Which would be simply related to the subdirs

* J *
  ~
Chris C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 01:42
Thank you James !
It took me 3 hours to setup "engines" and created a simple engine but in
fact it wasn't that hard...

I just wonder why "engines" is not part of ROR itself ? It seems so
sensible to me