Forum: Ruby on Rails AS/400?

Ed Schechter (Guest)
on 2006-03-21 04:18
Any success stories using rails against a DB2 database on an as400?

If so, how?

Thanks
Ed Schechter
Dave T. (Guest)
I had a similar problem domain where I needed to interface with an
iSeries/400.  I found that the iSeries was not a great backend for an
OLTP, and experienced all sorts of performance and availablility issues.

In the end, I eventually decided that the best solution was to have a
separate DB to handle OLTP and then sync offline with the iSeries using
some sort of messaging system.

For my environment, this makes it much easier to introduce rails to my
employer.  It allows me to say "you can issolate your side from our
'non-standard' webapp"; of course, I'm more happy that I'm issolated
from them :)

HTH.

On Tuesday, March 21, 2006, at 3:18 AM, Ed Schechter wrote:
>Rails mailing list
>removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Cheers!
--Dave T.
http://devlists.com - Email list management
http://palmsphere.com - Apps for your hand-held
Jeremy H. (Guest)
DB2/400 does not use the same drivers as DB2/UDB from client platforms
that I am familiar with. Actually there is very little support for
this platform even among mainstream DB tool providers such as
Embarcadero, good luck with RoR :(

On 21 Mar 2006 02:48:02 -0000, Dave T.

--
Jeremy H.
http://www.jeremyhuffman.com

Chris
Anonymous (Guest)
so is the issue of connecting RoR to db2 on iseries going to be
impossible? my workplace is 100% ibm, and i'd love to redo our customer
load-tracking application in rails, but all our data is on as400 db2,
and it's such a massive amount of data that replicating to a separate
standalone db box would be cost-prohibitive.
Aaron B. (Guest)
on 2012-08-01 16:52
Anonymous wrote in post #55831:
> so is the issue of connecting RoR to db2 on iseries going to be
> impossible? my workplace is 100% ibm, and i'd love to redo our customer
> load-tracking application in rails, but all our data is on as400 db2,
> and it's such a massive amount of data that replicating to a separate
> standalone db box would be cost-prohibitive.

Here is IBM's formal project on rubyforge for connecting to their
databases including DB2 on IBMi (aka AS400, iSeries, System i, i5)

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyibm

AaronBartell.com
Greg A. (Guest)
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Aaron B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyibm

Another alternative, if I'm allowed to mention it here, is JRuby..
then you'd just need DB2 JDBC drivers.

--
Greg A.
http://twitter.com/akinsgre