Forum: Ruby Downloading ActiveTCL

Randy K. (Guest)
I'm trying (I've tried) to download ActiveTCL to use with Ruby.  (IIUC,
it
either includes the KtHTML widget or I need ActiveTCL to make the widget
work.)

Anyway, I've tried with both Konqueror and mozilla-firefox.  I get to
this
page:

http://www.activestate.com/store/languages/register.plex

I enter the requested information.

In konqueror, I don't see what to do next (the "Next" link is not
visible).

In firefox, I click "Next", and the same page comes up again with my
information no longer there.

What am I doing wrong, or what must I do differently?

Thanks,
Randy K.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
ActiveTCL is for Windows. Konqueror is for Linux. Which are you trying
to run on?

Randy K. wrote:

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
Randy K. (Guest)
On Monday 20 March 2006 10:19 pm, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> ActiveTCL is for Windows. Konqueror is for Linux. Which are you trying
> to run on?

Ahh, that could be (one of) my problem(s).  I'm running on Linux.

I was hoping to use the TkHTML widget for a project I'm working on--I
inferred
from what someone told me that I needed ActiveTCL to do that (and/or it
was
included in ActiveTCL).

I think I've seen other places to download the TkHTML widget from--guess
I'll
try to download that, then post again (new thread) asking some other
questions (I can't seem to get tk to work on my machine (Mandriva2006,
running the Mandriva packaged Ruby 1.8.2.).)

Thanks!

Randy K.
Hidetoshi NAGAI (Guest)
From: Randy K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Subject: Downloading ActiveTCL
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:06:49 +0900
> What am I doing wrong, or what must I do differently?

I don't know. However, you'll be able to get ActiveTcl packages from
ActiveState's ftp site (ftp://ftp.activestate.com/).
# ActiveState Home -> SUPPORT&RESOURCES -> Downloads
Hidetoshi NAGAI (Guest)
From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Subject: Re: Downloading ActiveTCL
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:19:27 +0900
> ActiveTCL is for Windows. Konqueror is for Linux. Which are you trying
> to run on?

ActiveTcl is not only for Windows.
For example, there are versions of ActiveTcl8.4.12.0 for AIX, HP-UX,
Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and Windows.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Now that I think about it, you're probably right. However, most folks I
know running a UNIX-like OS, including Linux, use the "standard"
versions of Perl, Tcl/Tk and Python rather than the ActiveState ports of
them. It would drive me bonkers to have two versions of Tcl/Tk on my
Linux systems, since I don't in fact program directly in either but use
them only as embedded in other tools. The same goes for Ruby.

Long ago in a galaxy far away, there were **major** differences between
the ActiveState Perl and the "standard" CPAN Perl. The Perl community
beat up mercilessly on ActiveState and ActiveState fixed it. :)

Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:
> For example, there are versions of ActiveTcl8.4.12.0 for AIX, HP-UX,
> Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and Windows.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
Hidetoshi NAGAI (Guest)
> them. It would drive me bonkers to have two versions of Tcl/Tk on my
> Linux systems, since I don't in fact program directly in either but use
> them only as embedded in other tools. The same goes for Ruby.

On my Linux box, both of the distribution-standard Tcl/Tk and
ActiveTcl are running. ;-)
I select the library working with Ruby/Tk (one binary)
by environment variables.