Forum: Ruby on Rails strange charecters after redcloth usage

Charlie B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-20 23:57
I'm using redcloth on my blog to transform my input into html.  Alot of
times if I type "I've" I'll wind up with "I,ve" except that it's not a
comma but a very similar charecter.  This is really killing my rss
feeds.  What's causing this?  How do I fix it?
Charlie B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-20 23:59
I just figured out that this happens when I cut and paste from open
office.  How can I stop this?

charlie bowman wrote:
> I'm using redcloth on my blog to transform my input into html.  Alot of
> times if I type "I've" I'll wind up with "I,ve" except that it's not a
> comma but a very similar charecter.  This is really killing my rss
> feeds.  What's causing this?  How do I fix it?
Ben M. (Guest)

charlie bowman wrote:
> I just figured out that this happens when I cut and paste from open
> office.  How can I stop this?

Um, don't cut and paste from open office? ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Seriously though, do you have to paste from OO? I've seen the same
aggravation happen with
people writing their web content in Word and then pasting it into an
html file.

A good text editor is your friend... someone here just turned me on to
programmers notepad
the other day... pretty sweet.

Cynthia K. (Guest)
A good text editor is indeed your friend. But most folks who use what I
would consider a good text editor also hand code their html.

I think that Redcloth and other tools to protect the user from that
scary
html code mostly cater to the crowd who compose in Word. So one of my
criteria for a pseudomarkup language or rich text editor is now "how
well
does it clean up Word's gunky font tags".
Charlie B. (Guest)
RedCloth is great for my blog.  Who wants to hand code html into each
blog post.  It's very nice to compose in open office (thak god fer
spelchck) and then submit that to my blog.  I just wish I knew how to
get the character encoding correct!

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:10 -0800, Cynthia K. wrote:

> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Charlie B.
Programmer
Castle Branch Inc.