Forum: Ruby "using namespace" equivalent ?

killy-kun (Guest)
I would like to know if there is in ruby an equivalent to the c++
instruction "using namespace" (in order not to have to prefix things by
there namespace when needed).
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 19, 2006, at 8:28 AM, killy-kun wrote:

> I would like to know if there is in ruby an equivalent to the c++
> instruction "using namespace" (in order not to have to prefix
> things by there namespace when needed).

Well, if we are talking about a module, you might be able to include it:

 >> module Namespace
 >>   extend self
 >>   def some_method
 >>     puts "Hello!"
 >>   end
 >> end
=> nil
 >> Namespace::some_method
Hello!
=> nil
 >> include Namespace
=> Object
 >> some_method
Hello!
=> nil

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II
killy-kun (Guest)
James Edward G. II wrote:
>  >>   extend self
>  >> some_method
> Hello!
> => nil
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> James Edward G. II

Thank you very much !!
That's exactely what I was looking for.
(I was using the "require" instruction, and I thought the "include"
instruction was quite similar, that is why I didn't try it...)