Forum: Ruby on Rails rails is extremely hard to install

Oskar (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:08
I'm on Mac OSX and I'm about to rip my hair out over how hard it is to
install rails. I've installed rubygems and am typing "ruby setup.rb" in
the command line and get "No such file or directory."

I've never had to use command lines before so this is alien to me. Can't
they just make installation GUI-based for non-geeks like myself?
Larry W. (Guest)
Follow the instructions here and you should be good to go:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/rubyonrails.html
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

I'm a complete Mac moron and it was really easy.
Oskar (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:26
Larry W. wrote:
> Follow the instructions here and you should be good to go:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/rubyonrails.html
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...
>
> I'm a complete Mac moron and it was really easy.

Thank you. I'm on an intel mac mini, BTW. I hope it's not powerpc-only.
Mariano K. (Guest)
No, it's not. I am on intel too and used the hivelogic article ... Went
totally smooth.
Oskar (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:43
Mariano K. wrote:
> No, it's not. I am on intel too and used the hivelogic article ... Went
> totally smooth.

The hivelogic article is extremely confusing. I almost want to switch to
python over this. Why the hell do I have to do all of this? I can't even
get "mate ~/.bash_login" to work (apparently this is an important step).
Larry W. (Guest)
did you install textmate yet?

It's not completely trivial but if you get it installed you'll be much
better off using rails than python.  I've tried both and I'm really
amazed
at what you can do with rails.

good luck.
Oskar (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:56
Larry W. wrote:
> did you install textmate yet?
>
> It's not completely trivial but if you get it installed you'll be much
> better off using rails than python.  I've tried both and I'm really
> amazed
> at what you can do with rails.
>
> good luck.

Yes but I'm trying to re-install it. I agree that rails seems nicer, I'm
just a little frustrated. Thanks for bearing with me, I'm sure I'll find
a way to install it eventually.
Ray B. (Guest)
Oskar wrote:
> Mariano K. wrote:
>> No, it's not. I am on intel too and used the hivelogic article ... Went
>> totally smooth.
>
> The hivelogic article is extremely confusing. I almost want to switch to
> python over this. Why the hell do I have to do all of this? I can't even
> get "mate ~/.bash_login" to work (apparently this is an important step).

That will only work if you have textmate installed, and you probably
have to have the mate alias defined.

You should install Rails via Locomotive if you know nothing about the
command line.

Ray
Oskar (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:59
Ray B. wrote:
> Oskar wrote:
>> Mariano K. wrote:
>>> No, it's not. I am on intel too and used the hivelogic article ... Went
>>> totally smooth.
>>
>> The hivelogic article is extremely confusing. I almost want to switch to
>> python over this. Why the hell do I have to do all of this? I can't even
>> get "mate ~/.bash_login" to work (apparently this is an important step).
>
> That will only work if you have textmate installed, and you probably
> have to have the mate alias defined.
>
> You should install Rails via Locomotive if you know nothing about the
> command line.
>
> Ray

Yeah, it's working this time so I'll continue with the hivelogic
article. If I still have problems I'll try Locomotive.

Thanks.
Tom d. (Guest)
Oskar,

I'm on Mac too, but on the powerpc platform.
I used the following download & article by Tony Arnold:
http://www.tonyarnold.com/articles/2005/08/10/roll...
rails-on-mac-os-x-tiger-for-beginners

It does not get any easier than that ...
Claus G. (Guest)
> I'm on Mac too, but on the powerpc platform.

Me too :-)

> I used the following download & article by Tony Arnold:
> http://www.tonyarnold.com/articles/2005/08/10/roll...
> rails-on-mac-os-x-tiger-for-beginners

And when you start feeling comfortable using OS X and the terminal, I
would advise you to take a closer look at darwinports
(darwinports.org). It makes it somewhat trivial to install command
line based programs and services like postgresql/ruby/lighttpd etc.

It takes care of dependies so installing ruby will also install
libiconv, readline, openssl and zlib if they aren't present and thus
shorten the nice installation-howto mentioned erlier in this thread so
you can omit libiconv, readline etc.

Doing a port info ruby will show the following information:

claus-guttesens-power-mac-g4~%>port info ruby
ruby 1.8.4, Revision 2, lang/ruby (Variants: darwin)
http://www.ruby-lang.org/

Ruby is the interpreted scripting language for quick and easy
object-oriented programming. It has many features to process text
files and to do system management tasks (as in Perl). It is simple,
straight-forward, extensible, and portable.

Happy hacking.

regards
Claus
Tom M. (Guest)
Ezra Z. (Guest)
Or even better is the nubyon rails ru-ra-lin.sh script which will
install all the stuff for you in one script:

http://nubyonrails.com/files/ru-ra-lim.sh.zip

	The only thing to change on an intel mac is the last part that
downloads mysql. you need to change that to use the intel version
universal binary of mysql. But the rest will get installed for you
very easiely

-Ezra
Luke R. (Guest)
Sorry but its not confusing in the slightest. Even if you have no
experience compiling apps it lists every single thing you need to do
in detail.

You don't HAVE to go down the compiling your own
ruby/gems/fastcgi/lighty route but the article lists the benefits.

If you are a programmer/developer, how can you be scared of the command
line???

On 3/18/06, Oskar <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Cheers,
Luke R.
www.lukeredpath.co.uk
Avdi G. (Guest)
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything; I'm honestly curious:  why
would a self-described "non-geek" be doing development?

~Avdi
Paul R. (Guest)
On 19 Mar 2006, at 18:10, Avdi G. wrote:

> I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything; I'm honestly curious:  why
> would a self-described "non-geek" be doing development?

I was thinking that - the RAD hype over Rails seems to be getting all
sorts of people interested, but what's going to happen the moment
they need to hit script/console ?

Maybe Rails is becoming a victim of its own hype? The number of
questions on this list that seem to need answers as to how to become
a developer, not just how to use Rails, consistently makes me think
that somehow the impression has leaked out that "anybody" can and
should code Rails apps, whereas the truth is more likely to be you
need to be committed to becoming a developer, or already have
experience of developing, for Rails to be of any use. Rails is great,
but I'm not going to point my Mum to it when she wants to set-up an
online store.... :-)

That said, anybody who wants to go down that route and make the
effort, we should be cheering along. :-)
Tom d. (Guest)
I think you're right, however in comparison to the one-click Windows
installer, the Mac OSX installation (i.e. using Terminal) seems a
little bit unuserfriendly. We could do with a one-click installer on
Mac OSX. The subject of this discussion might as well be "Rails is
overcomplicated to install on Mac OSX"

If I knew how to create an installer (Mac OSX Package) which installs
all that is needed to run rails I would do it.
(Ruby 1.8.4, RubyGems 0.8.11, fcgi-2.4.0, ruby-fcgi-0.8.6, pcre-6.6,
lighttpd-1.4.11)

There is Tony Arnold's installer, but I also used the article on
hivelogic to get myself a Rails environment (with lighttpd and now
with Ruby 1.8.4).

PackageMaker.app should be able to create these packages, but how? If
somebody is willing to help me set it up, I'm willing to maintain it
and keep it up to date.

And if you use RadRails (for example), there's no need to go to the
Terminal to develop Rails applications (though I do and use TextMate).

Regards,
Tom.
Avdi G. (Guest)
On 3/19/06, Paul R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Maybe Rails is becoming a victim of its own hype?

Seems unlikely to me.  Rails only seems "hyped" to us because we're
already tuned into the developer community.  Apart from Slashdot the
only places I've seen Rails boosted are programmer's blogs, Freenode
IRC channels, technical mailing lists, and websites like O'Reillynet -
all places I'm only looking at in the first place because I'm a
developer.  And you need to be a geek of some variety even to be
reading Slashdot.

I'd be interested to know how any self-identified "non-geeks" are
found their way to Rails, and what they expect from it.

~Avdi
Jason P. (Guest)
On Mar 19, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Avdi G. wrote:

> On 3/19/06, Paul R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Maybe Rails is becoming a victim of its own hype?
>
> Seems unlikely to me.  Rails only seems "hyped" to us because we're
> already tuned into the developer community.  Apart from Slashdot the
> only places I've seen Rails boosted are programmer's blogs, Freenode
> IRC channels, technical mailing lists, and websites like O'Reillynet -
> all places I'm only looking at in the first place because I'm a
> developer.  And you need to be a geek of some variety even to be
> reading Slashdot.

Not trying to pick nits, but the WSJ had a front of section article
that prominently featured RoR about a month ago. And then there are
these:

<http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000576.html>

--
Jason P.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

"The computer allows you to make mistakes
faster than any other invention, with the
possible exception of handguns and tequila."
Avdi G. (Guest)
I stand corrected.  Shows how dilligently I follow the main stream
media!

~Avdi
Calle D. (Guest)

> I think you're right, however in comparison to the one-click Windows
> installer, the Mac OSX installation (i.e. using Terminal) seems a
> little bit unuserfriendly. We could do with a one-click installer on
> Mac OSX.

This already exists, except that it doesn't even require an installer,
simply a drag-n-drop to the Applications folder (or whereever one
wants it). It's called Locomotive and you'll find it here:
http://locomotive.raaum.org/home/show/HomePage
--
		     Calle D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
		 http://www.livejournal.com/users/cdybedahl/
Paul R. wrote:
> Maybe Rails is becoming a victim of its own hype?

I've been saying this for a while... Somehow a lot of people are getting
the impression
that Rails is magic. Ok, well, a lot of it is pretty close to magic, but
you still have to
write code. You still have to know what you're doing. In fact, Rails
expects you to *plan*
out your app more than throwing together a PHP site would. And, in a lot
of ways, Ruby can
be a more confounding language to program in than many others. In other
words, there is a
  learning curve just like any new technology (at least for most
people... except Derek ;-) ).

Derrick S. (Guest)
On Mar 19, 2006, at 5:32 PM, Ben M. wrote:

> curve just like any new technology (at least for most people...
> except Derek ;-) ).

lol

-Derrick
Ben M. (Guest)
Whoops, sorry I butchered your name... and I'll leave you alone now... I
promise...
<crosses fingers...>

:-)

Ryan R. (Guest)
On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Tom de Grunt wrote:
>I think you're right, however in comparison to the one-click Windows
>installer, the Mac OSX installation (i.e. using Terminal) seems a
>little bit unuserfriendly. We could do with a one-click installer on
>Mac OSX. The subject of this discussion might as well be "Rails is
>overcomplicated to install on Mac OSX"

Others have noted it on this thread, but I have written a small program
called "Locomotive" (http://locomotive.raaum.org) which is a one-click
solution to Rails development on Mac OS X.  (It works just fine on
intel, and the next version will be a Universal Binary).  The entire
installation and configure process for Locomotive is: 1. Download, 2.
Copy to Applications folder, 3. Run.

Now, it's also "opinionated software".

It doesn't modify your system in any way, so it can't mess up your
system in any way.  If you know what you are doing and want to modify
your system, use one of the compile recipes around.

It is a _development_ solution for OS X; it is probably not a good
choice for _deployment_ on OS X.  If you want to deploy on OS X, you're
probably best off using one of the compile recipes.

Starting with Locomotive doesn't bind you forever to the program.  If
you start with Locomotive and find that it isn't working out for you,
you can delete it with one easy drag to the Trash and head on down the
custom-compile road (the Rails applications you started with Locomotive
will work just fine with your shiny new custom compiled system).

-r

--
Ryan R.
http://www.rockefeller.edu -- Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology