Forum: Ruby on Rails collection_select's linked

Eleudson Q. (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 21:22
I created a form with two collection_select, country and state and would
like to bring up to date the state list when to select a new country.
How I can make this in Rails?

Thanks

Eleudson
Brazil

<%= collection_select(:person, :country_id, @countries, :id, :name)
%></p>

<%= collection_select(:person, :country_id, @states, :id, :name) %></p>
Vince W. (Guest)
I think that the 37signals is the home of the Ruby on Rails, and
Basecamp is an example on which ROR is using.

Why the signup and other pages of basecamp are using PHP instead of the
rubyonRails? Is PHP better than ROR on these kind pages?

Vince
Eleudson Q. (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:22
Vince, I don't know Basecamp's code and I don't want to use PHP in my
application.

Grateful

Eleudson :-)

Vince W. wrote:
> I think that the 37signals is the home of the Ruby on Rails, and
> Basecamp is an example on which ROR is using.
>
> Why the signup and other pages of basecamp are using PHP instead of the
> rubyonRails? Is PHP better than ROR on these kind pages?
>
> Vince
Emin H. (Guest)
I understand that you need to have dependant drop-down boxes, so that
when
you select new value in first drop-down, second is updated to show
values
related to that selection.

I think the great way of doing is to use unobtrusive javascript -
http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/articles/unobtrusi...

I use it myself and it works great
Eleudson Q. (Guest)
on 2006-03-19 00:15
Thanks Amin, I go to try to include in my application.

Eleudson

Emin H. wrote:
> I understand that you need to have dependant drop-down boxes, so that
> when
> you select new value in first drop-down, second is updated to show
> values
> related to that selection.
>
> I think the great way of doing is to use unobtrusive javascript -
> http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/articles/unobtrusi...
>
> I use it myself and it works great
Alex Y. (Guest)
Vince W. wrote:
> I think that the 37signals is the home of the Ruby on Rails, and
> Basecamp is an example on which ROR is using.
>
> Why the signup and other pages of basecamp are using PHP instead of
> the rubyonRails? Is PHP better than ROR on these kind pages?

(Just guessing here...) Probably because they were written before Rails
was complete, and once they're written, there's very little point
changing them if they work.
Eleudson Q. (Guest)
on 2006-03-20 13:33
Alex Y. wrote:
> Vince W. wrote:
>> I think that the 37signals is the home of the Ruby on Rails, and
>> Basecamp is an example on which ROR is using.
>>
>> Why the signup and other pages of basecamp are using PHP instead of
>> the rubyonRails? Is PHP better than ROR on these kind pages?
>>
> (Just guessing here...) Probably because they were written before Rails
> was complete, and once they're written, there's very little point
> changing them if they work.

Alex (or Vince), you have the source code of the Basecamp or another
application like it?

You can send me so that I can study it?

Thanks!

Eleudson
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Alex Y. (Guest)
Eleudson Queiroz wrote:
> Alex (or Vince), you have the source code of the Basecamp or another
> application like it?
Hah!  Chance would be a fine thing :-)
Ben M. (Guest)
I think what Alex is saying here is that Basecamp is not free
(non-gratis). I found that
the Typo rails blog system was an excellent full application to study
however. You can
find a number of free, open source rails apps on the wiki:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/OpenSourceProjects

Alex Y. (Guest)
Ben M. wrote:
> I think what Alex is saying here is that Basecamp is not free
> (non-gratis). I found that the Typo rails blog system was an excellent
> full application to study however. You can find a number of free, open
> source rails apps on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/OpenSourceProjects
Indeed.  Sorry, I should have been more informative :-)  I'll second
that pointer to Typo.  I learnt a *lot* from it.
Rick O. (Guest)
On 3/20/06, Alex Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> --
> Alex

I have a ton of code and plugins in my personal svn repo:

http://techno-weenie.net/svn/projects

For instance, I have all of Rails Weenie and Mephisto (my upcoming blog
engine).

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net